Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: And i\'m back to whine again. Played with me? extra time? help pls.

This is a must bet on the flop IMO. I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:36 PM

Your stats are the same as mine, which is why I think stats are not really a great indicator of how someone is playing unless they are playing really really 'bad'. I am a little less aggressive than you are and a little looser, but not much. So the good news is I think your stats look fine.

Everybody plays bad occasionally, so these posts asking for bad hands are sort of not the most useful way to get better, because you will just get a bunch of miserably played hands and not much else. Maybe it can identify some major leaks, but if you are beating the game for 0.5/100 then you don't have major major leaks. Probably a bunch of little ones.

I suggest that you should keep a notepad next to you when you play and jot down hand numbers that you think you had either a tough decision or hands that you think you misplayed. One good way to play is to limit your play to one or two tables, and after every hand you play look and see what everyone had and think to yourself what the best possible way to play was if you had known their hand. And then decide whether or not you could have known that is what their hand was, and if you played the hand correctly based on the information you had at the time. If you do this for all of your questionable hands, you will identify leaks in your play all by yourself. You will think you played a hand correct, but realize that you should have done something different if you knew what your opponents cards were. Then you will have that repeated so many times that you will realize your 'correct' play is wrong, and that you should do something else. If you made a bad river call jot the hand number down and say, "bad river call, nothing I could beat" or whatever It takes like two seconds to do after the hand is over. With repetition, you notice your mistakes. It is sort of cool to look over your last 50 sessions and see yourself making the same note over and over again.

If you run across a situation where you just cannot figure out what to do, or you aren't sure if you played it bad or not, post it to 2+2. Post everything you know about the player, post your own stats at the table for the session or other image based things, post it all. It helps if you jot the information down when the questionable hand happens-- your impression of your opponent at the time, etc.

I dunno I'm rambling again.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:43 PM

You can also write down your state of mind after a hand. I write down whenever I start to feel a little heat or if I am surprised that I do not feel heat or I feel good or bad. Any noticable thing. I catch myself much sooner when I am playing bad due to emotional concerns. If I am frustrated and start to feel unbalanced and tilty I have it written right down in front of me where it is impossible to ignore. If I am getting distracted, I write that down. I write down all kinds of stuff-- it keeps me focused and in the act of writing it down makes me more aware of things that are happening. I play a hand really bad, ok. I write it down and why. Then I write down that I'm feeling frustrated. And I see the badly played hand, and the "I'm feeling frustrated" written down right in front of me. And then I go, "Oh. I should not be playing right now. I'm on tilt." and I quit before I do any more damage to bankroll.

A little self-analysis goes a long way. Well maybe a lot of self-analysis goes a long way. Complacency with your game is death.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:23 PM

How many tables do you play?

And re this:
[ QUOTE ]

I practice fairly decent game selection. 3 2+2ers and I usually leave. I dont go too far out of my way to find jucier games, but just make sure i'm not in a room with a bunch of 23/16s.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I play 20/40 I don't sit down at a table with two 2+2'ers, and they're all over the damn place. At 5/10 you should be able to find tables with no 2+2'ers, one at most. In other words, I disagree that you have decent table selection skills [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 09-13-2005, 02:29 PM

Nice post, Rory. I'm going to try this..
Old 09-13-2005, 02:34 PM

4 tables. I've tried 1 and 2 tabling for some time to see if I had more focus, but I just couldnt handle it. I got extremely bored, felt like my decisions were no different than normal, and frustrated that I was going through hands 1/4 or 1/2 the speed of normal.

The KQ hand where I had a gutshot and hit the turn - yeah im agreeing with the turn raise. Donkbets always make me paranoid though for some reason. I'll have days where I have no fear of them whatsoever and raise my midpair topkicker without fear, and some days where i'll flat call a top pair (like that hand). Not really sure why. It just throws off my flow and my response varies.

That KQ hand, I was looking through hands with that player around the same time. I had bought something like 4 or 5 free rivers in a row from him, and hit I think 3 of them. I sensed he was getting frustrated, and started throwing out more turn bets than normal when heads up with him. He responded by donking the turn every time he had a piece.

The call with KQ high is something i'll do maybe maybe once or twice a week. Everything that happened against that guy though made me think stone bluff.

As for table selection...maybe i'll start using my buddy list more... Or looking for jucier tables and joining the wait list while i'm playing 4. That seems like it'd work pretty well...
Old 09-13-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 tables. I've tried 1 and 2 tabling for some time to see if I had more focus, but I just couldnt handle it. I got extremely bored, felt like my decisions were no different than normal, and frustrated that I was going through hands 1/4 or 1/2 the speed of normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Er, sorry. But not really [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

The last time I saw a post by a 2-tabler complaining that he was running <1BB/100 over a long stretch of time was around half past never.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:41 PM

Keep in mind that 2 months ago, I was 12 tabling 40 hours a week. This is a big downgrade for me already.

*edit*
12 tabling 3/6 FH. not 6max :P
Old 09-13-2005, 02:49 PM

I'm in the exact spot at you are. 60k hands and more or less breakeven player. my stats used to be 19/15/4 but I've loosened up and a bit less aggressive now. Only played about 5k hands so not sure if it has had any affect.

I searched for your nick and came up with this hand. I muck this hand pretty easily on the flop.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: is with , .

Flop: (1.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (2.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Button checks.

River: (2.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 4.70 BB

(you are button with Ax5h)

I mean, you have 1 overcard and a really crappy flushdraw / r-r straight. Maybe tilt?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:52 PM

A overcard (maybe 2 outs), gutshot straight, weak flush.

I dont see how that looks like tilt at all... Even looking over it now I think it looks pretty standard.

Donkbets inspire raises from me if i have alot of options in the hand, even if they are mediocre.

Is this a big mistake? Do i handle donkbets badly?

*edit*

The pot size seems really wrong...
I raised preflop didnt I? By the river it should have been...6:1 for me to call?