Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Should Bush Be Impeached And Convicted?

"Surely they'll find something to hang their hat on. And if they don't, they'll make it up, or take very thin evidence and fatten it up. All governments do this."

I don't think so, especially after this much time has elapsed. As I posted to Chris I think the downside is too much. Definitely could be wrong though.

"The congress voted thumbs up for the war. No impeachment."

Although congress could say they were deliberately lied too and misled. I agree with scalf though that an impeachment would be politically motivated and the votes aren't there.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:22 PM

I agree that it doesn't pass the threshold either.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:23 PM

Yes I would say that Saddam was less than cooperative and failed to negotiate in good faith.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:24 PM

What I find interesting is that it doesn't seem to be that big of deal to a lot of people i.e. whether or not the US actually finds WMD's that they existed before the war.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:29 PM

As I stated in another post, this idea of the main purpose was to disarm Iraq of WMD's was most important for justifying it to the UN. If the USA pulls out of the UN or the UN becomes more or less an irrelevant organization a more honest debate can ensue. Since France, Russia and perhaps Germany have put their votes for sale the organization has become corrupted in my mind. Especially since France and Russia are permanent Security Council members and have veto power.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:08 PM

Default False Alarms

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D7QMTD8O0.html

The pressure to "find" something is apparently mounting.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Reagan

OK, let's give him "tear down the wall." Meanwhile, he was against every policy pursued by America during the Cold War that led to the wall coming down.

The policy to support Afghanistan against the Soiet invasion led to the creation of Osama Bin Laden.

Reagan always read the comics first thing in the morning. During his presidency, he spent 345 days at his ranch--almost a year of the eight years in office. Michael Deaver ran the presidency because Reagan was incapable of doing it. Said one of Deaver's aides, "You have to treat him as if you were the director and he was the actor, and you tell him what to say and what not to say."

Don Regan said Reagan regarded his schedule as "something like a shooting script" in which characters came and went and the plot advanced one day at a time. Bob Dole said that he never had a private meeting with Reagan: "He did invite a few of us to the study, twice that I can recall, for Cokes. I don't think I talked to him on the phone about busienss more than two or thre times." Dole was the chairman of the Senate Finance Committee in Reagan's first term and the minority leader in his second.

Martin Anderson: "He made no demands, and gave almost no instructions. Essentially, he just responded to whatever was brought to his attention and said yes or no, or I'll think about it. At times he would just change the subject, maybe tell a funny story, and you would not find out what he thought about it, one way or the other. Rarely did he ask searching questions and demand to know why someone had or had not done something. He just sat back in a supremely calm, relaxed manner and waited until important things were brought to him."

Donald Regan: "Never did he issue a direct order. He listened, acquiesced, played his role and waited for the next act to be written."

Frank Carlucci (Reagan's NSC adviser) and his deputy, Colin Powell, would give Reagan briefings. Reagan would never say anything. "The President would merely acknowledge that he had heard him," said Powell, "without saying yes, no or maybe. Frank and I would walk down the hall afterward with Frank muttering, 'Was that a yes?'. . .One morning after we had gotten another decision by default on a key arms control issue, Frank moaned as we left, 'My God, we didn't sign on to run this country!'"

Henry Kissinger said it was very unusual to have a president who was completely ignorant of and uninterested in policy.

One is reminded of the line from My Favorite Year: "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star." Reagan was an actor, not a leader.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Reagan

The policy to support Afghanistan against the Soiet invasion led to the creation of Osama Bin Laden.

That's wrong. Bin Laden's association with Afganistan was brought about by the US failure to support Afganistan after their independence, not by the policy to support them in fighting the invasion.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:04 AM

Default Y\'all might find this site interesting!

http://www.votetoimpeach.org/

Old 04-29-2003, 02:09 AM

Sure. It will give the media another reality TV show to replace the Iraq war show.