Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Trying to break away from \'the rules\'

He played it super strange. What does he put you on?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would insta-fold this without much thought at all. You do not make money in Texas Hold'em by putting your whole stack in with the second-nuts and no redraws. I love playing against guys who are always like "haha, I have middle set, I will call." Easy money. Guys who know how to make a solid fold here are much tougher opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh
Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM

Some percentage of the time you are gonna make quads and scoop the whole freakin pot.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:25 AM

man you got middle set! even if you were playing live and he turned his cards face up you can't fold, right?

that being said he basically did turn his cards face up, like you said. his bet of 55 then calling a huge check raise... 1/4 pot for weird/bad players (like this guy might very well be, it would seem) is either bad hand or monster... so then when he goes further i guess it's a monster.

now while it is true that given the board, AK is also a monster heads up, i for some reason very very rarely seen it played this way, where a small percentage of the pot is bet originally. it's almost as if people thing AK can't beat a flush but a set can, or something. so to be honest, if you had a read (and i think he did his part to send the neon flashing memo) i think you can let it go/keep pot small.

i think it's naive and silly to just make sweeping statements like "i'm never folding jjj in this spot, if he has AAA so be it."
Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 AM

remind me which thread you are quoting el d from again? (words of wisdom, they are, indeed)
Old 09-06-2005, 10:34 AM

The 718th example of why not to post results.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 AM

the oesfd vs a made straight. KQ vs 98 on a JT7 twotone board, all in for deep money. Something to that extent.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The 718th example of why not to post results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I doubt there's ever been a HU hand posted in the history of this forum where Hero simply got his money in with the second nuts and won.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
man you got middle set! even if you were playing live and he turned his cards face up you can't fold, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you misused this expression, but I'm pretty sure if on the flop he showed me that I had 1 out would fold.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:07 AM

I know exactly how you feel on this one. While participating in this forum has undoubtably made me a better player and following 'the rules' is part of that, there are times, especially on a hand with a board like that and that developed the way that this one did where that little voice in the back of your head is screaming at you that you are beat in spite of the fact you are HU, with the 2nd nuts against a complete unknown. I don't know if it's just betting patterns or something about the timing of your opponents bet but there are times when you just KNOW you're beat even online with a monster like this. The hundreds of thousands of hands a veteran 10/20 NL player has played have hammered out those instincts for a reason. Where the problem lies if you're like me, you aren't always right. Probably an equal # of times that I've called because of 'the rules' against an unknown when my gut was screaming I'm beat and my gut was right, there's an equal # of times they turn over some top pair lame kicker for 100+BB that I have absolutely crushed.

My only suggestion is this, listen to your gut feeling against known players where your instincts have more to go on and only occasionally against a noob, remember, no one knows you're laying down 2nd nuts here but you. It's amazing how empowering losing the minimum possible on a monster 2nd best hand can be. In spite of whatever insticts I have though, HU against an unknown I'm going broke here, HU is the reason I couldn't get away from this, too many players play HU so badly that I'm sure I'd go broke here like most everyone else posting and go give the cat a good kicking, feeling like a fool for not following my instincts but my HU instincts aren't what they need to be to make this monster laydown and be correct enough of the time. If it makes you feel better, go watch Prahlad go broke HU with his AAAKK fh vs Jesus's quads for a couple of hundred K a few more times.