Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: Running poorly, concept check!

Bet the flop..for all the reasons mentioned above, no check-raise, regardless of the reasons above.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:18 AM

over 50K hands at 1/2, 3/6, and a little at 5/10 I had a 100 BB+ downswing may be 3 times. 'BUT', i am just a 2-tabler with a very small sample at 6max.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There are 4 people to act behind you in a 6-max game. This gets checked through like NEVER.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? Your hand is not a monster.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I can check-raise a late position bettor and play poker if someone to my left bets. The point is that I am almost never giving infinite odds to a gutshot here...

I just don't think that I can be scared of it checking through.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know that one of the 4 people behind you bets here? And Yes, you are giving infinite odds to a gutshot by checking the flop. Going for a check/raise makes you sort of pot committed. What would you do if the turn brings no help to you?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:53 AM

If you bet out the fish that are calling the gutshot would be correct to do so, going for the C/R you are forcing them to call 2 with thier gutshot therefore making a mistake. You are also clean up the Ax and crap like that. If it gets checked through on rare occasion not a big deal as the pot is smallish and you hand is likely either small + or -EV to a field of 4.

I understand your frustration it is not the 100BB's that bother but 10,000 hands with no profit. IT sucks but there is always tomorrow
Old 09-06-2005, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet out the fish that are calling the gutshot would be correct to do so,

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see how calling a gut shot getting 6-1 is good here.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:06 AM

implied odds you will get more then you need.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the checkraise, Too many hands will peel if you bet the flop and your hand is vulnerable

[/ QUOTE ]

Most hands w/o a Q are making a mistake calling your bet in this small pot. T w/ a lower kicker are making a mistake calling this pot. A check raise does what? Make it more wrong for them to call? And u risk it getting checked around as well. Sounds like a good plan. By leading out, gutshots, bottom pair and mid pair lower kicker are not getting the odds they need (bottom pair probably has the implied odds maybe as they would need to make up at least 1,5bbs on the turn.).

This is a pretty easy flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the other aspect to this play that people aren't explaining is that it gives you the option to fold. We have MP on a coordinated board in a multiway pot. This isn't a monster, and I think betting gives us no information and usually commits us to betting the turn.

Those of you who are saying "BET," what's the turn plan when everybody calls on the flop?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:18 AM

Ax probably has 3 outs against u (probably 2 if someone else holds Ax), in a small pot why do u care about getting them out so much when they are drawing thin and could make unprofitable calls against u. Gutshots as well.

they are getting 5:1 if u lead the flop. 1-2 callers I imagine at best...so the pot would be 6-7:1. they need to make up 2bbs (with one caller and hero to make up 2.5bbs). Its a little easier w/ three in on the turn (including the Hero) inwhich case 2bbs are needed.

Either way not leading out and hoping in gets bet IN LATE POSITION by a looose-p donks seems like a great plan and risk it getting checked through.

Its a small pot, there is no need for a checkraise here.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
implied odds you will get more then you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the rake and the possibility you get drown out on you probably have to average 3BB. I don't think you average 3BB. You'll get 3BB sometimes, but for every time you get 0, 1, or 2 BB you have to have a hand whether you get 4, 5, or 6 BB. This hand is a perfect example off why it's not profitable for a gut shot to call getting 6-1. Hero is not putting 3 more BB into the pot, and there are alot of other hands that hero would play this way that would not put 3 more in either.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:15 AM

Ah good man, forgot to mention the rake.