Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: A hand from my first Party session

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is interesting, tho, in that it highlights the difference in strength between a set and trips. Give Hero 55, and make the board A57, and I'm capping all the way through the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point!
Old 09-02-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And you should have slowed down on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a good chance hero is still ahead on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there's a good chance hero won the hand. Villan, however, clearly disagrees. Given that he's unknown, I tend to take that at face value and slow down once he raises my bet on the turn.

This hand is interesting, tho, in that it highlights the difference in strength between a set and trips. Give Hero 55, and make the board A57, and I'm capping all the way through the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an excellent point. If I'd had a set, I would have capped all the way without question.

For those that are interested, I did in fact win the hand, but I wasn't happy with my play at all. I was torn between berating myself for being weak and not extracting more value, or berating myself for 3-betting the turn basically due to tilt. Based on the responses here, and my own thoughts, I'm pretty sure calling down from the turn raise is the right play.

I used to think I didn't have a problem with tilt. Now I am realizing that the real reason I wasn't tilting was because I didn't care about the money. This is the first limit I've played where it's starting to hurt a bit more to see "my" pot go to someone else.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is your ADD really this severe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think back. How many times in the past month have you played against somebody who didn't raise AA/KK preflop? For me, that number is in the tens, easily. Add in the possibility that this player has some mis-conceived notion about position ("don't ever raise anything preflop when you're under the gun," for instance), and when the flop caps I think AA is a strong possibility. In which case, his preflop play worked just the way he wanted it to. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't disagree that there are a small but significant number of people who limp with AA, but I don't think that number is nearly high enough to consider as part of a default read.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:02 AM

AA is my biggest concern here. Bad players love to limp with AA preflop (although they normally do not cap the flop).
Old 09-02-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree that there are a small but significant number of people who limp with AA, but I don't think that number is nearly high enough to consider as part of a default read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it's not a default read for an unknown. But, given how aggressive your Villan became, I think this is a case where you have to expand your range of possible hands, rather than reducing it.