Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Organize a nation wide.........

[ QUOTE ]
United States 18,999
Japan 8,859
France 8,475
United Kingdom 7,836

I could give two shits abotu percentages. Simple fact is, we give hte most, by a long shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realise how stupid that is? You only give the most because you're the biggest, if someone was to cut up the US into segments each the size (in terms of population) of the UK, each one would only give half as much as the UK. Just because you happen to be one huge country doesn't give you any right to go around saying you are the most generous nation.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
United States 18,999
Japan 8,859
France 8,475
United Kingdom 7,836

I could give two shits abotu percentages. Simple fact is, we give hte most, by a long shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realise how stupid that is? You only give the most because you're the biggest, if someone was to cut up the US into segments each the size (in terms of population) of the UK, each one would only give half as much as the UK. Just because you happen to be one huge country doesn't give you any right to go around saying you are the most generous nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont care if we are the most generous nation around, I dont want to be. Fact is, we give hte most overall dollars out. Dollars that can help us A LOT. Its time to start looking out for our nation. Who made the rule that we HAVE to give ANYTHING out, quit assuming we owe anything a DAMN thing.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 PM

Crossposting my post from politics. So many have an opinion on this without looking into the facts:

These threads are so silly, you don't know how these things work. 10 and 20 years ago (earthquake Mexico etc.) disaster relief turned out to in many instances create chaos since so many wanted to help in so many ways. Therefore, nowadays it is usual that the government (in this case US) specifies its needs which it itself cannot fullfil and request this aid from UN and other nations. You really think any nation would not send blankets if requested????

US gave aid to Iran after the Bam earthquake. Iran has offered help to US now. Most countries are able to put away political differences in these situations.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont care if we are the most generous nation around, I dont want to be. Fact is, we give hte most overall dollars out. Dollars that can help us A LOT. Its time to start looking out for our nation. Who made the rule that we HAVE to give ANYTHING out.

[/ QUOTE ]

you started a thread asking why no other countries gave aid to the US. i really dont understand, this post im replying to and op are extremely contradictory.

the us gains so much from the world ecomony, thats a pragmatic reason to give aid. its economic supremacy is dependent on globalization, other countries resources, trade, all that.

and the idea that "i dont give a [censored] about the percentages"

LOLLERSKATES
Old 08-31-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Our US senator Norm Coleman was asked this exact question today on a radio show I was listening to.

He said a lot of stuff. But, his point was that we have been the caretaker of many coutries especially Europe for a while now. He said the French, Germans, and others don't spend on defence or military. They don't spend on world relief sorts of things like the USA.

He said we invest in that stuff because we have the economic means to do so. There simply is no other superpower in the world today and so we do it to the extent we have the means. He also made some good points about the importance of the global economy to our standard of life.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree on this. I sometimes get irked by efforts to do some things abroad when we have quite a few of our own problems including inexpensive housing, healthcare, and otherwise. But he did make some good points. (BTW I am in no way bashing his ideas ... I voted for him as I did for dubya.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This, in my opinion, crosses party lines, all throughout the last 60 years or so, republicans and democrats, have handed out foreign aid, which doesnt bother me, as long as my daily life isnt affected, and I dont have to worry about it much. This is selfish, I dont care. Now, I have to pay 3$+ in gas, not to mention rebuilding etc. And we are spending trillions, fixing AIDS in Africa, trying to bring peace to the Mid east, etc. I say its time to be true Americans for awhile, and be selfish bastards until our country can get itself back on its feet, and all this internal strife (economically, politically, etc) is sorted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! Gas is freaking $3/gallon, so let's stick it to those pathetic starving, AIDS infected Africans, and to Burmese Nike factory workers subsiding on $0.50/day.

Sarcasm aside, everyone always makes a big deal about the amount of foreign aid. It's a freaking ~0.8% of the budget (approx $19 billion in 2004, budget was $2.34 trillion). Or an estimated 13 cents/person/day. Drink one less soda a week.

Furthermore, you don't understand the nature of aid. Only a small amount of it is purely humanitarian. Some of it is so that the local dictator can buy US military equipment that are being phased out, and he inturn evicts a bunch of indigenous people so that ExxonMobil can start pumping oil. So in other words, it is being reinvested for the benefit of the US.