Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Has college really changed that much?

Hell, I love college so much I am going back for a PhD sometime in the next few years. Basically, the only time off I took was when I was on accademic suspension thanks to a freshman year of not going to classes that were too boring. (Actually had two stints out due to that, I think I had a 1.0 my freshman year or something like that and when I went back the first time failed to pull my grades up enough. Sometime in there I grew up just enough to not [censored] up something as easy and fun as school.)
Old 08-26-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
20 units of what? Not engineering, I'll tell you that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] And your tolerance was WAY better than mine. I only drank like 37 beers a night. Plus the chicks were ugly at Berkeley. I had to drive 20 minutes to San Francisco to find the hot ones. Damn, why didn't I drop out? If only I'd started playing poker sooner...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your tolerance is pretty damn good if you thought the girls at Berkeley were ugly after 37 beers....
Old 08-26-2005, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fiery's most recent installment of "I'm going to quit (fill in the blank) and play poker," got me thinking about this topic again. I've never understood it.

I went to college. Here's what I did:

-Wake up and take some drugs to kill the hangover
-Think "oh [censored], I missed religion." (I went to a private religious school, Pepperdine, so I had to take 4 semesters of religion. It sucked.)
-Smoke a bowl.
-Go to the beach and have lunch.
-Go to class for a bit
-Go to the quad and try to pick up chicks
-Go home and smoke a bowl
-Go to the gym and play volleyball
-Go home and drink 982372923402 beers
-Go to some sporting event or a party or a bar
-pass out

During this rigorous time in my life, several thoughts went through my mind:

"That chick is so hot."
"This bud is so sticky"
"This class is so lame"
"I want a beer"
"We should go surfing"

But not once. Not ever. Not for one second during my four years did it ever occur to me that I should quit.

All of my friends who went to UCLA, UCSD, USC, Stanford, and Berkley all had pretty much the same experience except that it took 5 and 1/2 years instead of 4.

WTF!? Has college really changed that much in the past 15 years?

Some of you kids are nuts.

Irieguy

PS- You can carry 20 units and play 800 SNGs a month while drinking every single night and sleeping till noon. Easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee: If I'da known it was that tough I wouldn't have been such a whiner about how much it was costing me [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2005, 09:38 AM

You got so many problems you DEFINATELY do not need to add alchohol and drugs on top of them.

My college experience was similar to Irie's but I took the partying way way overboard and eventually dropped out.

Now at 36 and having lucked into a successful career that I am retiring from one of my biggest regrets is not getting my degree. Like someone said in your thread, the mere act of sticking with something that is tough, you sometimes don't like and finishing it will really do wonders for your character and will pay huge dividends later on.

Hope you find your way.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:42 AM

Oh just you hush, the parents' perspective is unimportant for another, um, 15 years (unless the bambinas are prodigies and go to college early).
Old 08-26-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No money just makes it that much more fun. There's fun to be had on a college campus other than lame-ass social events. Most people suck anyway, but the sheer volume on a campus makes it damn hard not to find a few people worth your time. In conclusion, get a life, don't buy one, jerk.

SlimP

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have a life, it consists of parties, drinking, fking girls, playing poker, and doing as little as possible to get As and Bs every semester. Whats yours consist of?

Just because you probably never experienced such bliss, theres no need to get bitter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed the point. I'm saying there's more to life than just bitches and beer. If you don't realize that, you'll be one of those 35-year-old half bald guys who still shows up at frat parties, only to pass out drunk in the corner at 8pm after getting shut down by all the fat chicks at the party.

My life consists of getting my PhD from Berkeley while living in Las Vegas, playing poker with my girlfriend, 3/6 at the Wynn, grinding the 33's into submission, and drinking beer in my pool. I'm happy enough.

SlimP
Old 08-26-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UCSD is now famous for being a socially dead campus overflowing with engineering and computer science majors who dedicate their life to making your life hell in any class with a curve. Majoring in Economics lets me avoid a lot of this though [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was me. I minored in economics so that was a welcome break when I needed it. Wait around til the first week of Spring. I swear they bring hot high school seniors in short sundresses to campus because I saw those girls that week and never again.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have a life, it consists of parties, drinking, fking girls, playing poker, and doing as little as possible to get As and Bs every semester.

[/ QUOTE ]So, how does posting on 2+2 rank amongst those other activities you list? If the others are so good and so easy, what are you doing wasting your time on this thread?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:23 PM

This is also my college experience but now I am getting the best of both worlds:

I am not going back to school, but I am still living in the same house I did last year, all with good frends of mine who are still in school.

This way I have lots of time for guilt free poker (since I'm not missing any classes etc.) I can travel if I want, and I can still party hard and not miss too many college "extra curriculers(sp?)"
Old 08-26-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is also my college experience but now I am getting the best of both worlds:

I am not going back to school, but I am still living in the same house I did last year, all with good frends of mine who are still in school.

This way I have lots of time for guilt free poker (since I'm not missing any classes etc.) I can travel if I want, and I can still party hard and not miss too many college "extra curriculers(sp?)"

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that how they teach you to spell up there in Canadia?