Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: A few procedural things for SSNL

[ QUOTE ]

3) A weekly threads digest. This is a new phenomenon in both the micros and SS limit forums, and it is probably the greatest single benefit I have ever seen to the forums. Once a week (usually Mondays), some designated person (usually self-appointed, not necessarily the mod) selects the 10 or so threads with the best content from the week before, and posts a link to each. Usually there are 5 or 10 words describing the thread content.

This has been fantastic. There are so many new posts every day by so many people that nobody can see them all. A lot of people only open threads where certain people have contributed, and that's fine. But then they may miss many great or potentially great threads because nobody they are looking for contributed to them. But by putting links to them in the digest, these great threads get popped again. More often than not, the resulting traffic in the digest threads is even better the second time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this would be incredibly beneficial. I know for myself I don't have time to read through most of the posts everyday due to work schedule and other time spent on non-poker related things. Granted that also doesn't leave me much time to post replies either (mostly just reading posts atm). I tend to look at who posted and/or the number of replies to a post or an interesting title and open those up and read those first, but I'm sure I miss a lot of important replies by people and I think this weekly top posts idea would be great to those who don't have time to stop by everyday.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:18 PM

My thought is that no one reads the "Rules to Posting" posts, although I agree that people should limit it to one or two posts a day. If you want to post more hands. Post them in an already open thread and give it a new title/icon.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:06 AM

I'm just a lurker on this forum but I want to give some support for these suggestions. I think they are all outstanding. The session review is a worthwhile idea as well. It shows a lot of routine hands so after a couple of rounds, the session posts and subsequent criticisms should give new players a good idea of some default lines and common situations. I know that in NL many of the plays are more opponent dependent but there is still benefit to this, particularly in the lower levels.

regards,

raisins
Old 08-26-2005, 12:28 AM

I like the idea of not posting too many hands in a day. I won't crack down on it, but people who start three threads every day probably won't be getting too many responses.

I also want to second the fact that nobody should be scared to reply to any thread. I remember when I was new here (not too long ago, actually), I would try to always respond to the best poster's threads. They would generally correct me, and I would learn far more rapidly that way.

With regards to a weekly session post or weekly digest, I like both ideas in theory, but with my semester just having started I have absolutely no time to devote to either.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:48 AM

As a new poster here, I would very much appreciate a "how to post" guide. I haven't yet been posting several hands per day, but I do take one night per week to review all my hands, so I tend to group all my wierd/confusing hands together and post them at the same time. I've had varying responses from the group so I haven't yet worked out which hands you guys find interesting and which are every day occurrences that I really shouldn't have to ask advice about.

I think the weekly digest would be fantastic. It would also help me to not post similar hands to those already posted.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:42 AM

What annoys me most in this board, is a recent tendency to just copy/paste plain text from a hand history file. If you want quality advice, at least invest some time in editing a post to make it readable. Also, a broken up convertor is no reason to post converted hands where the betting just makes no sense at all. At least preview your posts before submitting them.

Second most annoying is the endless stream of 20- post newbs asking about no limit books, winrates and stuff like that.

I'd also like to see a more extended version of grunchcan's favorite nl threads. A list of these links with short description could fit in to the FAQ.

And on a final note, I agree with fim that this board does have a lot of high-quality content. Let's see how we can make it even better.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 AM

Here's a straw man draft. I assume we're more discussing thread origination than simple reply posts, although that deserves mention somewhere too.

Please edit/hack/flame away.

SSNL Thread Guidelines

Anyone can post to this forum. As in all societies, though, there are Good Citizens and Bad Citizens. Bad Citizens get ignored, or worse.

If you aspire to be a Good Citizen of SSNL, please keep the following in mind when starting a thread.

General Topic: Small stakes ($4 or lower big blind), pot- or no-limit hold'em, cash games only, please. There are other forums for tournaments, higher stakes, and other games.

Approach: Especially if you are new, you will benefit most by reading first, and starting threads with great restraint. Many talented and helpful players post here. Read them. When you know who those individuals are and what their standards are for posting, you'll probably be ready to post a thread of your own.

Volume: This is a busy forum. Do everyone a favor by restricting your original threads to one or two, *maybe* three, in any given day. Otherwise, posts come too quickly, fall down the list too quickly, and don't get adequate consideration by other readers. Which benefits no one.

Content: Anything on topic is welcome, but two specific types of post deserve special mention. One is a DON'T, the other is a DO.

DON'T POST a bad beat. This means posting a hand where the subject is not how you played it, but the actual results of the specific hand. We all know that Hold'em is, in part, a game of chance. We all know you can play a hand perfectly and lose your stack, it's happened to all of us, we don't want to hear about how it happened to you, take your sob story elsewhere.

DO POST a hand history for analysis and discussion of your play of the hand. These are by far the most prevalent and helpful threads. When you do this, follow some specific guidelines for your post:

Title. Include the following:
1. Stakes level
2. Site played (if it was live, mention "B&M" -- brick & mortar)
3. Type of game (full ring is generally assumed, specify if 6-max)
4. A few words on your specific topic

For example,
"PP $25NL, Bluff this Busted Draw?"
"Stars 100 6-max, middle set, rock pushes"
[ I don't play Stars, do they even spread 100 6-max? ]

Body. Make sure you:
1. State clearly what you want to discuss. Were you lost on the turn? Are you wondering what hand your opponent had and what others would put him on? Etc.
2. Include the hand history. Either summarize it briefly yourself, or better yet (for online play) convert the text file from the session, using bisonbison's hand converter. If you have trouble with the converter, read the FAQ or post a question. But DO NOT post raw hand history text and expect others to pore through it trying to figure out what happened; that's Bad Citizen behavior.
3. Include your reads, if any, on relevant players. PokerTracker stats, if you have them, are welcome.
4. Omit hand results in your original post. They can influence responses and hamper an unbiased discussion of the hand. Consider posting actual results after others have had ample chance to discuss.