Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: AK hand with all in reraise back

I doubt he has AA or KK so I would call
Old 08-27-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you may have something there as far as what he thought, but I was thinking that is a 4BB reraise to 8BB. That would seem to be enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enough for what? What is the purpose of your reraise? Just to tell him you have a hand for as cheaply as you can? To isolate him? Do you have an idea of what to do when you are reraised? You need to know these things.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the other thing that has to be remembered here is AK is a great hand suited even better, BUT it is not unbeatable and it is not the best hand PF all the time.

I believe that there are far too many people out there that think I have to play AK for all my chips, and at times this is absolutely correct, like when your stack size in relationship to blinds is very small, or you want to isolate a short stack to play heads up.

But it is possible that this person did wake up with AA, KK or any other pair, in which case you are behind, albeit you might be just a small dog to a very large dog, is there really a need to push your chips here in this situation with your remaining stack size?

[/ QUOTE ]

This contradicts everything you said about not being worried about his raise the first time. Are you or aren't you?
Against a guy with that huge stack this early, who may have a propensity to bully, I'm making a bigger raise to isolate and-or get all in with him.
The UTG part is a little scary. Was he using his chipstack effectively to bully? Did he need a real hand to raise from up front?
Again, you need to know these things.

Otherwise, just about any raise or reraise will look like the bogeyman. If you don't know, you'll find a reason to be afraid.

I call, but I also raise more PF, possibly even pushing.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Your thinking about this hand is all wrong from the get go and that's why you're struggling with whether to call or not.

First off: you will miss the flop 2/3 of the time, at which point your hand vs. an any two type player is worthless. Yet you're giving him 3:1 to call and basically 'trapping' him with a hand that you cannot trap with. This is terrible - if you *are* gonna trap, what you should do is call preflop and let him bluff himself to death. If you reraise, giving him 3:1 plus your continuation bet is suicidal.

But hey, you donk reraised and he pushed, at which point you can narrow his hand down to, well, not much at all (for all I know he's good and this *is* kings, because 97s is not a bad hand to mix in a raise with as a big stack and you've given us nothing else to go on, but if he's just a LAG he can have anything.) You're now getting over 1.5:1 to call, meaning you must do it if you know he has queens. Congratulations, you've pot odds'd yourself into it.

There are a handful of regulars on this board that just don't 'get' poker. You're not one of them but I would have expected to see this series of posts from someone else.