Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: What should I double major in?

The only warning is to not make one of your majors Women's Studies in hopes of meeting babes. Not gonna happen, and you may lose your man card for it.

[ QUOTE ]

Here's a picture of Josie Maran for your troubles:

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a double major, they're major doubles.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:00 PM

I hate to be that guy who turns this into a babe thread...no, wait. I like being that guy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Swede
Old 08-24-2005, 04:05 PM

Here is something to consider. Law Schools like to have people with majors other than English/Poly Sci/History.

It would give you a step up on other people. Also if you have something like an engineering degree, and your plans for lawschool somehow get screwed up. Guess what. You can get a good job with an engineering degree. With a poly sci degree? probably not

Melch
Old 08-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Actually the English, etc major isnt a bad way to go, one law school i looked into going into said they took people with other majors besides law stuff over legal majors because it gave diversity (with similar test scores of course)

I double majored in Psycholog and Biology with a minor in Legal studies...and yes the sciences are very very very very hard but that was for "me" - it takes me alot to learn that stuff - i decided on it as a 2nd major to help me get into a PhD program as well as help me if i wanted to go into forensics - here my legal minor will help as well (its left over from almost going to Law School).

Either way pick a 2nd one that interest u b/c if it doesnt ur grades will show it (my bio grades r a bit lower) and like I said, the ones u categorized as not useful to Law Schools are, if u r worried about it make an appt with an adivisor at the schools ur interested in and ask thier opinion

It wasnt TOO hard doing 2 majors and a minor and it took alot of work (sometimes 20+ hrs a semester) but i was never the brightest person so this was my way of kinda making it up to mahself

I loveeee psychology, i decided to take biology as a 2nd because i had an awesome professor for ONE class and it made me "think" i liked science all the sudden when i hate hated it and failed at it my whole life...i toughed it out though, and it was a good background incase i decided to go for my MD instead of my PhD
Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 PM

Science teaches you how to critically think, read and learn about difficult topics, organize your thoughts, and to make a logical arguement. This is what it takes to be a good lawyer. In law school, you learn how to do these things better, along with how to read and write better. You also learn specifics in law school that you need. What do you learn in poly sci? I took those classes and they are a joke. I think you should take broad classes outside of your major so you get the opportunity to write lots of papers and such. However, for your major, stick to one thing and a technical field is best.

IP law is nice, but to be a good IP attorney, you should work in a technical field for awhile so you gain some practical knowledge. I'm talking about how to do well at law school, regardless of what you intend to practice. If you want to take poly sci, english, or whatever, fine. However, they don't make a bit of difference. Some sort of hard science is ALWAYS the best. You are generally competing and surrounding yourself with the smartest people, and the law schools know this. The LSAT is a joke for any competent science, math, or engineering student.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:25 PM

'Cause those things are hard... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 04:27 PM

let me be the first to not reccomend biochemistry or immunology.

fim
Old 08-24-2005, 04:32 PM

How about philosophy? I'd think that would be useful in just about any field of work.

Next year when i go to university i'm going to double major in experimental psychology and philosophy, should be a hoot.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
let me be the first to not reccomend biochemistry or immunology.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?? They are both great subjects...Then again I majored in Microbiology and Immunology.
During grad school it seemed as though the popular fall back position, for those who didn't want to pursue an academic career, was law school. Everyone thought that they would become a patent lawyer and start rolling in cash...
Old 08-24-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Current Major: Criminal Justice
Post-Grad Plans: Good Law School

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the requirement here: Good Law School. That mean excellent grades. Going to get an engineering degree is a sure way of guaranteeing that isn't going to happen, especially if your math skills aren't there. If you didn't take calculus in high school, you can just about forget it.

Take a look at what area of law you want to go into, then decide what would make a good background for that. You're in criminal justice, so I assume criminal law is a goal? But if not, consider switching. Most lawyers DON'T deal with criminal law, so take a look around and make sure your end goal matches with your plans.

One other thing to consider, different areas of law pay differently. Criminal probably pays the least (unless you are really good and willing to put in years of work representing the scum of the earth), corporate the most, lots of room in between. But it's all grade dependent, now and in law school. GPA is EVERYTHING.