Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Which state has the worst mosquitoes?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
West Palm Beach

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I'm in the South Miami area.

[/ QUOTE ]

sweet you can help me on here then...no idea what i'm doing...need a little picture thingy...gotta meet everyone too
Old 08-24-2005, 11:13 AM

anyone who has never been to alaska should not even reply in this thread. if you've ever seen hitchcock's The Birds it should give you some idea.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sweet you can help me on here then...no idea what i'm doing...need a little picture thingy...gotta meet everyone too

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly the best way to accomplish both of these simultaneously is to start a new thread asking how to add a little picure thingy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 11:16 AM

the worst i've ever been in was portsmouth island in north carolina. it was seriously like something from a movie. i remember my little brother running around crying because he was getting bit so much. it was the worst experience of my entire life.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone who has never been to alaska should not even reply in this thread. if you've ever seen hitchcock's The Birds it should give you some idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was once running on some cross-country trails in the Birch Hill area north of Fairbanks. I got lost and stopped to look at a trail map. I got so heavily swarmed by mosquitoes while I was stopped that I couldn't concentrate on reading the map. My body had a fight/flight response and I took off running and just ran around on the trails aimlessly until I ran into some other people and asked for directions back to the stadium.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly the best way to accomplish both of these simultaneously is to start a new thread asking how to add a little picure thingy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
right... i'm on it
Old 08-24-2005, 11:21 AM

That's great advice.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:46 AM

So is there any reason to visit Alaska, isn't it freezing cold or full of mosquitos? Is there a time of the year it's decent there?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 AM

I've never been to Alaska, Minnesota or Florida, but, from what I've heard (elsewhere, not here), these are in contention for the worst.
Not that I'm nominating it as the worst, but I think certain parts of Hawaii have to be in contention. for one thing, they are an introduced species in hawaii, so the only natural predators they have there are us slapping away at them. No bats, birds or trout trying to eat them. For another thing, it never gets too cold for them, so they're there 24/7/365. i think I read where mosquitos are physically incapable of flapping their wings in temperatures below 60F or something like that. it gets below that, statewide, maybe three times a year every 5 years or so.

on the plus side, there are no black flies, rattlesnakes, poison oak/ivy or grizzly bears around to mess with you, either.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Alaska, no other state comes close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above. I wonder if it's due to the relative lack of predators?