Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Re: 2 out bottom of the 9th intentional walk, tied game men on 1st & 2nd

I hate walking the bases loaded since it sets up walking in the winning run which happens all too often.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: 2 out bottom of the 9th intentional walk, tied game men on 1st & 2

[ QUOTE ]
I hate walking the bases loaded since it sets up walking in the winning run which happens all too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell this to Joe Torre, who had Scott Proctor intentionally walk a batter to load the bases. Needless to say, he threw a four pitch walk to lose the game in walkoff fashion.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:57 PM

If jeters name was barry bonds i would do it
Old 08-25-2005, 06:13 PM

I remember Earl Weaver walking George Brett, during the year when Brett his .390, and during a stretch where he was hitting about .440, with men on 1st and 2nd with two outs. Then the pitcher accidentally walked in the winning run.

Just seems to me no matter how good the guy you're walking is, and how bad the next guy is, you're better off taking your chances with men on 1st and 2nd than with bases loaded. Especially with two outs.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: 2 out bottom of the 9th intentional walk, tied game men on 1st & 2nd

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on who is on second base I think. If it's a guy with speed, I don't think it really matters. If it's Cecil Fielder, walking him would be stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter who is on second simply because you don't put that man on third EVER!

If it's a base hit, no matter who is on 2nd, you should at least have a chance to throw them out, even if they are moving on contact. You just play the outfield in a little. If you put that runner on 3rd, any seeing eye ball ends the game... and that's not only getting into you got to give the batter some good pitches since there is no walking in the winning run if you put the guy on third.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Depends on who is on second base I think. If it's a guy with speed, I don't think it really matters. If it's Cecil Fielder, walking him would be stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter who is on second simply because you don't put that man on third EVER!

If it's a base hit, no matter who is on 2nd, you should at least have a chance to throw them out, even if they are moving on contact. You just play the outfield in a little. If you put that runner on 3rd, any seeing eye ball ends the game... and that's not only getting into you got to give the batter some good pitches since there is no walking in the winning run if you put the guy on third.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. 95% of the players in the league will score on any base hit from second base, including "seeing eye" balls. Posada is the exception, not the rule.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if its a choice between 2nd and 3rd, jeter up, or bases loaded escalona up, its not close. if im pitching i want to face escalona.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even Derek Jeter only gets a hit 3/10 times he goes to the plate. With a few rare exceptions, there is no other way to score the runner from second in that situation.

With the bases loaded the walk comes into play. Even a .200 hitter will have enough discipline to draw a walk in this situation more than 1/10 times. And even more important than that is that because a walk is as costly as a hit, the pitcher's hand is forced. He can't fall behind in the count so he will likely have to groove a pitch at some point in the at bat.

This is all assuming that in this situation only one run is needed.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. 95% of the players in the league will score on any base hit from second base, including "seeing eye" balls. Posada is the exception, not the rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why say something as arrogant as 'This is wrong' and then use some stat that you just made up that is completely wrong and not even close. 95% of baseball players will not score on any base hit from 2nd base. If you meant to say that baserunners score 95% of the time on a base hit when they are on 2nd then you are also very wrong and not even close. Do you even watch baseball?