Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: So I\'m At The Pistol Range Saturday...

[ QUOTE ]
1. It absolutely is possible to see rounds moving downrange...

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Most good shooting instructors, and many experienced shooters can tell you where your rounds are going when you miss. This is not unusual at all.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The weird thing that happened was when I fired off my carry ammo at the end of the session- 3 8-round mags of 230 grain Remington Golden Sabers- I could see most of them flying downrange.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean that a would-be attacker could see the bullets coming at him and jump out of the way?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean that a would-be attacker could see the bullets coming at him and jump out of the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are THE ONE Neo....
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 AM

Open carrying is asking for trouble. Concealed is much better because then would be attackers do not suspect it.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not weird until...

[ QUOTE ]
and I keep the 9mm sitting next to my computer monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It's holstered and unloaded. It's not going to animate and start blowing holes in the walls. As it is right now, it's a $500 paperweight, not much more dangerous than your keyboard. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing weird about keeping a gun in this condition is that (a) the gun is unloaded and thus worthless, and (b) it is not on your right hip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'll admit that it'd take a few seconds for it to get into a firing condition, but my roommate is pretty anti-gun. He's baffled by the fact that I even own guns. Apparently he thinks that he can fend off an attacker with his bare hands (his words), and defend the house with uhh...well I dunno what he has. A scary stick maybe? At any rate, he doesn't feel comfortable with a loaded gun in the place, even though I've demonstrated on plenty of occasions that a gun is perfectly safe while loaded, as long as the operator is careful. But, he doesn't listen. So, I keep my pistols unloaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you keep your gun locked up is so someone doesn't shoot you with it. Anyone care to guess what percentage of gun owners get shot by their own weapon?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason you keep your gun locked up is so someone doesn't shoot you with it. Anyone care to guess what percentage of gun owners get shot by their own weapon?

[/ QUOTE ]

This message has been brought to you by the idiots at HCI.

A loaded weapon on your person is by far the safest method for securing a pistol, while simultaneously having it available for self defense.

The only justification for locking up and/or unloading a self-defense firearm is the possibility of children getting unsupervised access to the weapon.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But not by other people.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even though I've demonstrated on plenty of occasions that a gun is perfectly safe while loaded, as long as the operator is careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please post a link to the video of the cop accidentally shooting himself in front of a classroom full of kids? I can't find it...
Old 08-23-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pro-gun and very very pro-gun-safe. At the very least I'd hope you have a trigger lock on it, but in your place I'd have it in a big metal box bolted to the floor/wall.

I learned gun safety from some very careful people, and I like their approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have also learned "gun safety" from Handgun Control Inc., evidently, since you have bought into the "trigger lock" canard.

Trigger locks on loaded firearms are MORE dangerous because removal/placement of the trigger lock increases the possibiity of a negligent discharge. Trigger locks on UNLOADED firearms are part of a liberal agenda designed to advance the notion that guns are "inherently dangerous" and therefore should be subject to legislation requiring them to be stored in an unloaded fashion.

If you want to understand gun safety, there are only four cardinal rules, laid down many years ago by Col. Jeff Cooper:

1. All guns are always loaded (so treat them as such)
2. Never point the muzzle at something you are unwilling to destroy
3. Finger off the trigger until your sights are on target.
4. Be sure of your target.

Some ideas are implicit in these rules, such as securing guns away from children (a corrolary to Rule #1).

Bottom line: gun safety is about the operator, not the equipment. Responsible gun ownership involves training. Take a class at Gunsite.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not weird until...

[ QUOTE ]
and I keep the 9mm sitting next to my computer monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

boy oh boy, if i played poker with a gun sitting next to my computer...next swing=everyone gets it...

rj