Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: WHAT IS UP WITH THE DONK BETTING?

The only way to combat donk betting is solid reads. I don't play the higher limits, but the lower limits (3/6) donk betting usually is an idiot slowplaying middle pair and think he can fold you.

But like I said, reads are essential.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More donk-bets because more people are reading poker literature that RECOMMENDS donk bets.

Like what?

[/ QUOTE ]

How Good Is Your Limit Hold 'Em? recommends a fair amount of turn donk bets - but I doubt the average chook is donk betting because of this book.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But I'm sure this section is not addresing short-handed play, where check/raising seems much more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check page 199 (21st century edition). It's about donking the flop against a PFR raiser in shorthanded games.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But I'm sure this section is not addresing short-handed play, where check/raising seems much more important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check page 199 (21st century edition). It's about donking the flop against a PFR raiser in shorthanded games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, it's not often I'm proven wrong that fast. Eek.

Still, as I quickly reread that section, it seems directly principally to donk-betting from the blind position, on the flop, which is a bit different from the classic "donk-bet" situation usually discussed here, i.e., donk-betting the turn or river.

Also, the main point of the section is that you need to balance how you play on the flop from the blinds, after calling a preflop bet, which is of course, hard to dispute.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i 2nd that sentiment, especially in the higher limits the donkbetting is notoriously persistent.

krish may be right, if its becomes more widespread then some things will have to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

its like they send out some retard memo to harass all the decent players.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I swear to God it's everywhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, donkbetting used to bother me, but now I don't sweat it anymore. I much prefer rampant donk-betting to rampant check-raising, though there are certainly a few good players who donkbet effectively.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:28 AM

i don't care at all, in my experience someone who c/cs teh flop and donks the turn has some crappy pair.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:28 AM

just raise them with an appropriate mix of thin value raises and raises with air.

donkers make the game more interesting.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:49 AM

HPFAPC21 in chapter 6, Playing Short-Handed. In the section of this chapter called "Playing on the Flop and Beyond", it recommends calling with any pair, a straight [or flush] draw or any two overcards. That's about 50%. It also recommends prentending that the top card isn't there, which, depending on how you choose to work this idea, brings your flop call percentage to way over 50%. This idea would be adjusted for the number of players.

I think it's really essential for playing against aggressive opponents who are semi-bluffing a lot, and against players who force you to call a lot of raises from SB.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't care at all, in my experience someone who c/cs teh flop and donks the turn has some crappy pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

The tricky donk-bettors will bet the turn with the intention of 3-betting, both with big hands and with strong draws (and very rarely with air) in my experience. The weaker donk-bettors will summon the courage to value-bet (in their minds) their underpair or second pair on a non-scary board; sometimes they'll donk with air and fold to a raise or call and fold river UI. It's similar on the flop although with two streets to come there is better opportunity to devise and execute a solid line to the donk.

The challenge presented by a "good" donk-bettor, IMHO, is that it is very difficult to extract the maximum with a good hand in position and at the same time lose the least with a good hand facing a donk. I really feel that having a good read on a frequent donker is a very valuable read on post-flop play (better than most) because if he is frequently donking but not good, it's very exploitable; and if he is frequently donking but good, it's the mark of a tougher table than others that are probably available to you.