Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: QTs from SB. Gutshot draw. Play or fold

Add me to the people who don't raise this pre-flop. I agree with all of Grunch's points, and also agree it's a clear raise on the button. And I think the rest is fine.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise this PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand has been haunting me. I now am sure I have the wrong idea. I was my fault for not paying close enough attention to the OP. In my normal play, with 1 limper in the pot, I would fold this. With 2 I would play it. With 0 is when I would raise it.

I don't claim any of those plays is correct. For some reason I had the idea it was folded to you.

-D
Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise this PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand has been haunting me. I now am sure I have the wrong idea. I was my fault for not paying close enough attention to the OP. In my normal play, with 1 limper in the pot, I would fold this. With 2 I would play it. With 0 is when I would raise it.

I don't claim any of those plays is correct. For some reason I had the idea it was folded to you.

-D

[/ QUOTE ]

If we were on a non-blind position, and the action folded around to us PF, then I recommend a raise-or-fold line. If you feel that you can't open this hand for a raise PF, you'd probably be better off folding it.

There are a couple reasons why you might not think you can open QTs for a raise (or any TP-type hand, for that matter);

1) You think that even if you do rasie people will just call anyway.
2) You aren't confident enough in your postflop skills to play the hand well

Some of the very strongest TP-type hands are less suceptible to #1 above; but in this cases, they are also hands that are very good multiway. We're tallking about hands like AKs and KQs here.

As an aside, the stronger the hand, the more likely that any particular player will feel more comfortable playing it postflop. For instance, I would expect more people to be willing to PFR AKo than QTo, even disregarding the additional multiway-strength of the AK hand. It's just easier to play when you spike top pair with it.