FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Stack Size
25 BB for all rounds 11 15.49%
50 BB for all rounds 25 35.21%
25 BB for early rounds, 50 BB for playoffs 35 49.30%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: How would Bruce Lee have fared in the UFC?

I don't know. I just stumbled across the gif one day. My best guess is that it's an amatuer fight though. I mean, jumping up on the ropes too retarted for a pro fight.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chuck Liddell would have knocked him out in first round. I doubt Bruce had a good chin. One punch and he's hurt at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lee's hands were the best part of his arsenal by far. His was not a body meant to take punishment, but if it's coming down to upright punching, Lee would have a huge advantage over most people.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he would've been a slightly winning fighter in teh UFC or PRIDE at his weight class. He would've been in the 155 class and I don't think that he could withstand the kicks of Masato, the grappling of Genki Sudo or BJ Penn. If Bruce moved up to some of the higher weight classes I really can't see how he'd be more then a mid card fighter. Yes he was fast, but I can't see how a Kung-Fu stylist could handle being on their back and having their arm or ankle being bent badly in a submission. If he was to go all the way up to the heavyweight, he'd just be fodder. Try to imagine him being in a fight with CroCop, it wouldn't be pretty. CroCop has broken many an eye socket with one of his punches. Bob Sapp still has vision problems from their K-1 fight where he had his eye socket badly broken from just one punch

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruce's punches were extremely hard, and he'd been training them hard for almost 20 years by the time he died. Bruce would hold his own against even an outstanding puncher. It's in the groundwork that he'd suffer, although he was cross-training long before most martial artists did.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:15 AM

If we just teleport him to today from his prime and throw him in the ring tomorrow at 155, he's getting torched by top fighters and a lot of shittier ones who are good wrestlers. If we give him a few years to train, who knows, but I imagine he'd be good at 155 or 140, whatever he'd fight at.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 AM

I like how everone assumes Bruce is going to lay on the ground and wait for someone to come wrestle him.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:18 AM

He'd get taken down.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:20 AM

Bruce would f'ing dominate.

He is so incredibly fast. It would never get to the ground. He would kick and punch the sh1t out of people. Do you realize how much speed kills?? No one would touch him.

Plus he also cross trained in many sports and definitely did submissions.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:22 AM

There are no strikers in MMA near good enough to prevent takedown attempts. NONE. There is only 1 who has no ground skill and is still elite, CroCop - but he has the best takedown defense in the sport (but even with his great striking he can't stop people from going for takedowns). Without specialized modern training, Lee would be almost certain to be taken down.

There are two problems with some of the arguments here - people think Lee is superhuman, and don't actually follow MMA.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
outside of Maurice Smith and Mirko CroCop, no MMA fighter who was originally a striker has done well in MMA

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Hunt, Silva, Shogun, Ninja, Bas, Igor, Yvel, or Pulver?

There are many many more.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:30 AM

Wrestling and jiu-jitsu weren't invented with the start of t.v. MMA competitions. They were known about before, and beaten repeatedly and endlessly before, and like all styles, always will be beaten again, if the right man is there to do the job.

While a little skepticism is often a pretty healthy thing, virtually none was directed at Brazilian jiu-jitsu from the start of t.v. MMA competitions, and a little more is still overdue.