Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Various stories from TT\'s adventures at the Commerce - A9s vs TAG

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what are you doing preflop? You don't limp there unless it's not your mone....ohhh, I get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 08-19-2005, 12:45 AM

Usually, for offsuited cards, if it's not good enough to open raise, then fold.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually, for offsuited cards, if it's not good enough to open raise, then fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree.. but in a really loose passive game, it can't be bad to call PF in EP can it? Maybe. I don't find myself in that position like ever.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what are you doing preflop? You don't limp there unless it's not your mone....ohhh, I get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 2 stacks of yellow (5 big bets) left at this point... It was a marginal decision but I decided it was best if I limp and see what proceeds from there since the table was very passive and has been regularly 5-6 to the flop, most players with the exception of the villain will continue if that was their intention regardless of a pre-flop raise. I honestly don't know if it was the best decision.

Awww.... F*ck. I just noticed I screwed up the pre-flop action when I edited it. I should have been 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I was super tired last night (jet lag), sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:11 AM

Since I screwed up the OP hand pre-flop so bad, I thought it would be best if I repost it.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

UTG+1 limps, Hero limps, CO limps, Villain checks.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
Villain checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, CO calls, Villain calls, UTG +1 folds.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Vilain checks, Hero bets, CO folds, Villain raises, Hero....

Now for my thoughts. Against the average player I call and spike an Ace [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], but I'm not sure against this specific player.

1) If the Villain held a 9 she would have most likely bet out on the flop. If she held a higher pocket pair than she would most likely have raised pre-flop. If she held 2 pair then she would have bet out as well. I can't imagine her waiting until the turn for action with any of the above hands unless perhaps she held 92 since the hand was not raised pre-flop.

2) My betting out on the flop of 984 signifies a 9 or better. For her to wait until the turn says she can beat almost any pair of 9's.

Now that I corrected my error above and I've added some additional insight, I'd love to see some more relevant comments, including the preflop play with consideration of the fact that I was short stacked.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) My betting out on the flop of 984 signifies a 9 or better. For her to wait until the turn says she can beat almost any pair of 9's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be surprised if this was Villain's thought process. A large chunk of your range are draws with the preflop limp. You can easily have 2 hearts or a straight draw on the flop. At the same time, Villain can also hold a draw, and might make this raise if you can fold A9 on down.

This is a reasonable way for Villain to play a weak nine or even a draw.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 AM

At the time of the turn c/r you told me you estimated you are good 25% of the time. If you're getting 6.75:1 on that, you're getting 7.75:2 to see a showdown. This is a hair under 4:1 which is above the necessary 3:1 breakeven point. This ignores the possibility that you're holding a 2, 3, or 5 outer. Given these assumptions, I call down.

I would need a compelling reason to fold in this spot.

I'd also usually raise preflop.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be surprised if this was Villain's thought process. A large chunk of your range are draws with the preflop limp. You can easily have 2 hearts or a straight draw on the flop. At the same time, Villain can also hold a draw, and might make this raise if you can fold A9 on down.

This is a reasonable way for Villain to play a weak nine or even a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

The villain is out of position. There is no rational reason to check-raise me here for a free showdown, and the villain is too good to miss a flop bet to protect her hand, unless it doesn't need protecting.

Against a normal player I call down at this point because I like my A kicker... in fact normally this wouldn't be a hand worth posting. But this is a unique situation because who I am facing, I think I am up against a slow played set or 2 pair on the turn.

Old 08-19-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also usually raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

JBB and I discussed this hand over IM, he specifically said he would usually raise pre-flop even if he was short stacked as I was. I must admit I was feeling great pressure and I think I made an error pre-flop here. I should have gotten all my money in early, investing in the possible pay off should my hand hit or if the field folds to my relentless betting.