Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Getting ready to move up.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm definitely moving up. This just turned from a thread hoping to get info about what to expect at 1/2 to a thread about if I'm ready for the move and my car/go kart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just moved up in the past couple of months, and I really haven't noticed much difference. I play mostly in the evening (8-10 pm Central). I open 8 tables and go get some dinner. After dinner, I look at the open tables, and I can almost always find two (or more) of them with 3 players with VP$IP over 40% and one or two more over 30% (I play full ring and 9-max).

There's a little more pre-flop raising, and the tables are a little tighter (especially as fish leave and are replaced by TAGs from the waiting list), but there's still a lot of money to be made.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I only have 2800 hands in at $1/2 so far, and I've been running hot to start (>5 BB/100). We'll see what I have to say once I'm hit with the ugly side of the variance stick.

I think I'll be here for a while, because I still have a lot to learn. For this small sample, playing tight and aggressive pre-flop, raising the flop to isolate, and value betting strong hands has been enough to make money. Eventually I'm going to need to learn some new tricks, but I think this is a reasonably safe place to do it.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. When you open the tables and leave, I am assuming you are running PT and maybe something like pokerace? I wasn't aware that they would track the stats when you weren't sitting.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:34 PM

From my experiences 1/2 is alot harder then .5/1.

1. Alot more aggression especially preflop. At .5/1 I could pretty confidently limp in EP with any Axs or small pocket pair knowing I would have 3+ players in a non raised pot almost every time. I pretty much automuck these at 1/2.
2. Taking #1 into consideration. The number of players in each pot will be smaller, especially when you get to the river. You see alot more heads up turn and river play.
3. At .5/1 you could lose 3-4BB a few times and then catch a great hand and almost always make up for those losses with a 15+BB pot. That doesnt happen as frequently at 1/2. Big pots are no longer covering so easily for those pots where you didnt catch or were sucked out, hence you need to win alot more small pots, including blind steals to cover the absense of the huge pots.

In general the players at 1/2 still arent very good, but you are going to run into alot more tight passive players then at .5/1 and a lot less of those LAGs.

A solid player will find no difficulty in beating 1/2, however someone who has simply cruised through .5/1 by value betting their nuts to 3bb/100 without understanding what they are doing is most likely going to have some difficulty in the transition. I've been there.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but why do so many of you insist that 1/2 is "so much harder than .5/1"?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, its a little different style of game, but its still quite beatable
Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 PM

i think the advice here sounds very reasonable. Including "just move up" "you can do it". I agree with this whole heartedly. I think that if you stay too much longer at.5/1 you won't learn. You need to make mistakes in order to learn more about the game. It will be more challenging and much more fun the more obstacles you face and the more challenges that appear for you to overcome. i don't play 1/2, but I think moving up is the next step in becoming a better poker player. It's going to cost some money for you to learn, but learn you will. And you'll get better as a result.

felipe
Old 08-19-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
STOP! Dont do it. .50/1 is brainless poker. I've run over 20k hands at over 3.5BB/100. You need to evaluate on why you've beaten this level. Pull out about 500 hands and go through them one by one. Ask yourself: "why did I do this" (regardless of the outcome) and dont rationalize saying that the guy was loose.
1/2 will kill you if you can't figure out your leaks. They will only get bigger and bigger as you progress to 1/2 and you will gush chips in the process. (Also remember is you have to move down...most of those juicy 1st time bonuses that built you 600.00 roll will be gone, then it's hell to try and build it back up again.
At a minimum get over 10-20K hands under your belt, anylize your 500 hands. Post a bunch(Not just winning hands), and post this again when you can show full PT stats (on the post) and graph your play.
I just moved to 1/2 and its like I changed to Omaha, the same Tight/Super-aggro isnt going to cut it. You'll start getting check-raised in your sleep.

Then again maybe you're awesome. But 4-5k hands isnt enough to prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]
it took me 25k hands to adjust to 1/2, i wasnt doing my homework at .5/1 and was destroying it anyway. Well, then the next 20k hands i was destroying 1/2, and now im trying to adjust to 2/4 (the jump is much easier). Take this dudes advice, he knows from experience, unless you have time to do the 25k trial.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:13 PM

what are you limping preflop with? What are you raising with? Do you raise KTs on the button for example? I think you might attempt to increase your 7% pfr.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some stats from PT. Let me know if there are some not on here that you want to see.

VPIP - 18.96
VPIPSB - 57.48
FldSB(steal) - 100
FldBB(steal) - 54.55
Steal attempt- 21.56
Won$WSF - 35.51
Went to SD % - 32.95
Won at SD % - 49.06
PFR % - 7.69
Fl Agg Factor- 1.75
Turn AF - 1.80
River AF - 1.48
Fld Riv Bet %- 32.78
VPIP Button - 17.29
VPIP one off - 13.29
VPIP two off - 13.72
VPIP 3 off - 11.34
VPIP 4 off - 14.05
VPIP 5 off - 11.58
VPIP 6 off - 11.92
VPIP 7 off - 11.17
VPIP BB - 18.43
Loss BB - +0.04
Loss SB - 0.16

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not ready to move up.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Any chance you might elaborate?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:03 PM

Your VPIP in the SB is too high. Your VPIP in all other positions is too low. You don't raise enough pre-flop, you're not aggressive enough post-flop. You're pretty tight-passive.