Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: 30/60: KK & KK

are you folding to a 3bet on the river in hand 2?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Waiting preflop.

Assume that when I call the flop 3-bet, I'm going to raise any flop (the fact that I don't have to is also beneficial). Since I know the opponent will always bet this flop, I can be sure of getting the 5th small bet in every time before facing my opponent with a decision. So I'm really not underplaying my monster - the only effective difference is the outward strength of my actions. I happen to think that against a solid TAG, the call & raise flop line represents less strength than the preflop cap & bet flop line, and others seem to think the opposite. Some will have heard top pros say that in high stakes games, the strength shown on the flop is inversely proportional to the actual strength of one's hand. In this case it would be advantageous to wait until the flop to get the bets in, AND represent a weaker hand. However, these quotes are usually regarding games with no headsup cap, which changes things significantly. In our capped midlimit online games, the apparent strength of each extra bet is probably pretty similar between preflop and the flop, so calling the 3-bet with the assurance of being able to raise the flop means that the monsters aren't being hugely affected.

Now I don't want to be taking a line here with just monsters, as Maxx allayed to by suggesting the overplaying of weaker hands to keep Shania happy. However, capping with a weak hand gives the opponent the opportunity to CR the flop and put in more bets, which is costly.

But if the weak hands can't afford to go more bets, then how does one disguise the monsters? Waiting until the flop seems an obvious answer. The Shania of the flop raise will become pretty top heavy as a result, and of course, if this becomes noticable then the big hands should be played strongly preflop or even slowplayed until the turn (although in most conditions this would be costly). Thing is, though, it is rarely as noticeable that someone is raising a lot of flops than that someone is capping a lot preflop.

So by waiting until the flop with KK, I'm hardly underplaying it, because I'm 100% sure that the solid TAG will bet out on the flop and I'll get to put more bets in. But capping with a weak hand would be overplaying it, and this is definately costly. So if I want to disguise my strong hands, I'm better off waiting with them than playing other hands at a loss. Being able to choose not to raise the flop if it comes say JT6sss (I hold red kings): wait until the turn, or Axx: call down instead, is a valuable added bonus.

One extra thing:
I'm not one in favour of balancing my plays when they don't need to be. Sacrificing value for the sake of future hands is silly. One is much better off evaluating what the apparent strengths of bets on each street are from image and what's been going on and acting accordingly, than trying to manipulate it. There are definiately times when I feel that I can represent a much lesser hand by capping preflop, and will do so. As far as whether capping or waiting should be standard, this is just dependant on game texture. It is likely that in 5/10 and lower, capping is a better standard, since players will frequently bet into the capper if not for anything else (is this right?). But if players don't do this, and the apparent strength of flop bets in the game is similar to or less than the preflop bets, the bonus of being able to see how the flop affects the actual strength of my hand makes me feel that waiting is favourable.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: 30/60: KK & KK

[ QUOTE ]
are you folding to a 3bet on the river in hand 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the guy thinks we have no history, yes.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Waiting preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Assume that when I call the flop 3-bet...

[/ QUOTE ]

This post needs its own thread. Great stuff here.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Waiting preflop.

[ QUOTE ]
Assume that when I call the flop 3-bet...

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else do this? I was always under the impression that you have too much equity to not cap preflop, blah blah, but after reading this post I decided everything ALL1N said makes sense. So I started not capping there myself, and it's working wonders thus far. Putting in that extra SB on the flop instead of preflop results in much more action since no one is putting you on a big overpair, and I'm beginning to think that long term it's definitely +EV to not cap. Does anyone disagree with all this?