Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Will I get better at multitabling?

sounds like you're just not ready. until you can play one table while you're blackout drunk and the game has just become a feeling, it's best to stick with one table. you dont want to rush since you dont want bad habits dude. just take your time, wait until hand reading and board reading become natural. then, try to play while blackout drunk and getting head. if you're still able to read the board and the players, move to 2 tables and give that a go.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:02 AM

I was having this problem at the beginning of my poker career myself. There was a suggestion on here similar to the ones here, that you need to slow down and take your time to identify the game around you.

If you are having trouble concentrating and getting bored as I did I began to create little games for myself. I would answer questions and play my hands as if they were live after I fold them. What are the possibilities this guy might be holding? What would a bet do here? Did the guy in seat 1 make the correct play? How can I make money on this hand? etc etc.

After you are comfortable with your style of play open up 2 or 3 windows of your current level. Force yourself to play these for at least 30 min at the beginning of your session and try to rapidly ask yourself the same questions you would while single tabling. If you are beginning to have problems after the 30 min, close a table or two and continue on.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you are having trouble concentrating and getting bored as I did I began to create little games for myself. I would answer questions and play my hands as if they were live after I fold them. What are the possibilities this guy might be holding? What would a bet do here? Did the guy in seat 1 make the correct play? How can I make money on this hand? etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestion, this is a good idea.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: no content

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Journey man!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell Steve Perry I said, "Hi."

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh Sherrie, you can have it anyway you want it when we go our seperate ways. Be good to yourself and send her my love with open arms, but do you think I'll be alright without you, Bozlax? Don't stop believin.

[/ QUOTE ]

make it stop please MAKE IT STOP!!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing the worst possible players here.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, quite frankly, you sound like you're one of them. (This was going to say, "might be one of them," but I decided harsher was better, here.)

You're running hot and you're cocky. You're assuming that all the players you're playing against are bad, but admit that you can't maintain enough attention span to determine whether they're bad. How great can you be if you aren't even able to pay attention, winrate disregarded?

Y'know, it suddenly occurs to me that this whole thread is a troll. I'm out.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you think that 5BB/100 is an unsustainable winrate at partypoker .50/1.00 tables, for a player who is armed with SSHE, the 2+2 forums, who plays tight preflop, plays aggressively postflop, calculates pot odds, selects tables with a vp$ip of 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remember to approach the game with humility.

I am about that after 20K hands. Frankly, I am not that good a player. I chalk at least 2bb/100 up to having good cards for my first 10K hands. However, don't count on winning. Just be happy if you do. I moved up to 1/2 after killing .5/1. I am playing some pretty spectacular break even poker. Good thing I lost my ego in a bicycle crash when I was 17. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Just when you think you got it figured out, you realized you barely have your feet wet.

You are on the right path at least. Just don't get cocky.

GL

-D
Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that 5BB/100 is an unsustainable winrate at partypoker .50/1.00 tables, for a player who is armed with SSHE, the 2+2 forums, who plays tight preflop, plays aggressively postflop, calculates pot odds, selects tables with a vp$ip of 50%, etc? I understand that at higher stakes tables, the bb/100 winrate would be much lower, but I am playing the worst possible players here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is possible but from from a certainity. You'd need more hands than you would imagine to determine your true winrate.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps my problem in this is that my edge is too large at the rooms I'm in for me to need to focus on the play of the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is never a problem. There's no such thing has having too large of an edge.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:26 PM

Yes, you will get better. Should you? Depends on your aptitude and goals.

Of the people that were around Micro when I was relatively new here, two contrasting approaches come to mind. Red_Rain multi-tabled the whole way up to the middle limits. Helpmeout singletabled. The common factor (other than obvious aptitude for poker) was intensive study and a willingness to challenge themselves.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing, though. Spend time playing 1 or 2 tables, especially when you're settling into a new game. Multitable if you want during the roll building phase. Or just multitable your bonuses. Or on the weekends. Or whatever works for you.

You obviously can't adjust to your opponents nearly as well when you're multitabling, and therefore rely more on standard lines. However, you can adjust. It's just that you recognize fewer opportunities and have a more difficult time making the most of them. On the other hand, you tend to see many times more hands at each limit unless you're moving up aggressively, meaning that you face more examples of similar situations. The difficult part is paying enough attention for it all to sink in.

Ok... having said all that, you'd be well advised to build a solid foundation before you start adding tables. You encounter way too many unfamiliar situations when you're just starting out to put any extra time pressure on yourself. Even dividing your attention between 2 tables can be a strain when you have to think your way through most situations from scratch. Study away from the table can help with this, but it can't alleviate the impact of attention deficit.