Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Dumbest move you\'ve ever made

I have KK. The flop comes three of a kind. Sweet a boat!!! Money goes in the pot. Turn comes a blank. More betting. River puts quads on the board. I haven't been playing long, and I know that when you make quads with your two hole cards the kicker doesn't play (ok technically it does, but nobody can share the quads with you so you know what I mean).

So me and another guy get into a betting war that drives out two other players and I'm lauging at them in my head for folding in a split pot....Just as I put in the final raise, I go--oh [censored], kickers play!. Of course the other guy had an Ace.

--Zetack
Old 08-18-2005, 04:08 PM

Soo many dumb things I've done, so few braincells undamaged...

Over a decade ago paying over $400 to learn Omaha in a homegame full of sharks and booze seems like the topper. I must have forgot how many cards to use at least three times. Always seemed to remember to keep my drink fresh though.

Not doing whatever it was we did to find books before the internet and not getting S/S 1 nor TOP back then is another. ;~)
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 PM

I finally came up with a good one--remembered a good one. I've done the misread the board and think I have a straight thing a few times and tried to bluff out a calling station the river when it was obvious they had a strong hand that they weren't folding, but this one probably takes the cake.

I was playing in a home game against a loose player preflop who reads other players pretty well. I'd been playing about three weeks and practiced online and read some basics, but was still quite inexperienced. I bet before the flop w/ ATo and was called. On the flop, but the other guy bet, seemingly pretty clear he had a pair. Unfortunately for me, I had checked out of turn because I was hyper and mostly had played on the internet. I always made my decisions beforehand so I was ready to act when it was my turn. I still tried an all in raise on the guy and I knew he saw my check out of turn. He thought about it for a while and of course called me. No suckout and I lost ten bucks. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Good lesson leared though.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
board made trips, then a 9 fell, i had a nine (for a boat). friend raised and i said to her "god i already know the outcome of this hand", i called, then called again on the river. she turned over ace high and thought that i meant i knew the outcome was a split pot...i didn't raise with what i *KNEW* was the best hand (only i thought 2 people had it!)

[/ QUOTE ]

So she couldn't have had quads or a PP better than 9? Don't see what's so dumb about calling down here.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:57 AM

I was playing some 7-stud on three tables, and suddenly realized that one of them was a hi/low game (the only one I was winning well on)- I had won a pot with threes full of twos and I guess the other players put me on a low and I scooped, but had been playing 10 minutes before I knew what game it was. Pretty dumb, pretty lucky. But of course, that's me.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing some 7-stud on three tables, and suddenly realized that one of them was a hi/low game (the only one I was winning well on)- I had won a pot with threes full of twos and I guess the other players put me on a low and I scooped, but had been playing 10 minutes before I knew what game it was. Pretty dumb, pretty lucky. But of course, that's me.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The most impressive thing here is that you actually found an active 7 card stud hi lo table.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:59 AM

I have done almost exactly the same thing twice:

In a 2-table tournament at a friend's place, I have QQ under the gun. I make a normal raise, and it folds to the BB, a guy I've never played with, but who doesn't seem either terrible or great so far. He re-raises me a modest amount, and I call. The flop puts a two-flush (which I am not suited-to with either Q) and a TJ draw out there. BB checks. I bet about half the pot, and the BB calls.

I mull-over his action, thinking what possible cards he might have, and get quite lost in my thinking. 99? TT? JJ? AK suited? I've seen people re-raise with AJo and KJs at this table. Maybe he even has AA or KK and is milking me...

The turn is an A, suited. I start thinking again, trying to figure out if I'm beat. Thinking I might be, I'm hoping to get to the showdown on the cheap. BB checks. Meanwhile, I'm trying to piece it together and I don't notice his check.

Somewhere in there, with all the scare cards and the thinking, I am nudged and told that it has been checked to me. From thinking about getting to the river cheap, I have somehow convinced myself that there are five cards on the board, and I'm relieved that I don't have to call a bet. I flip over my Queens, thus killing my hand and giving him the pot.

I never found out what his cards were.

-steve albini
Old 08-19-2005, 09:27 AM

Mine...

5 card draw online. My opponent is on tilt. I have two kings in the BB. He raises pre-draw. I call. He changes 1 card. I know he has two pair. I draw a king. We go to the cap post-draw. He shows his two pair. But wait - I accidentally had discarded one of my kings, so i had capped with only one pair. Arrrgggghhh.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:54 AM

I'm on the button in a 4/8 limit game, I get dealt 99. I make a raise and get two callers. Flop shows a 9 and two diamonds. Check, Bet, I smooth call, turn is a brick, check bet, I raise, call, call, river is another diamond, and it gets checked to me so I check, fearing the raise. One guy turns over his flush, and I muck my set. Only after throwing away my cards do I realize that the river also paired the board and I threw away my boat.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:54 AM

Not my move but I was dealing the hand in a tournament tonite. Board comes 3, 5, A rainbow turn 5 river 3. The three players in the hand checked it all the way down. I tell them "lets see a winner". One guy turns over Q J the other two both say "I can't beat a Q" and muck their hands. Another player says "thats a three way chop", I say as i'm pushing the whole pot to the Q J "it would have been if the other two had not mucked their hands".