Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Crossposted from HUSH -- a turn decision for jason_t.

[ QUOTE ]
entity's play is weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:25 AM

I fold because I think he's betting to 3-bet and if he wants to 3-bet the turn that means he has a better hand. To us it looks like Entity may be donkbetting with a flushdraw.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:44 AM

I fold this, then sit out and look for a better game.

My guess for hands: entity has at least an A and changes from checkraising the turn to donking it because of all the draws that the 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] creates.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:49 AM

Call turn and river.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:20 AM

Most of you are giving the monkey's hand way too much credit.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd sometimes raise [88] UTG 10-handed.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Total hijack here: Why? (i.e. what table conditions, I assume it would ahve to be tight and fairly weak or straight-forward post-flop.)

Edit: (LINK TO ORIGINAL POST IN HUSH)

(hoping this is far enough down to prevent "cheating" but still save time)
Old 08-13-2005, 01:36 PM

I am posting this reply "blind," so to speak.

The key to figuring out Jason_t's correct play here is to try to decipher the possible motives between Entity's donk-bet. Since we know Entity is a good and thinking player, we can probably do some serious analysis without having to consider the "he's donk betting because he's actually a donk" possibility.

Here are some reasons why Entity might be donk-betting, in no particular order:

1. He is playing purely for value, and figures that a check-call/donk-bet line is more likely to get calls on big streets than either leading or check-raising the turn. (Hands that might consider this line: any hand containing an A; better stuff).

2. He has a more marginal hand (something like K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]) which he figures has a high chance of being good. He does not want to raise of check-raise the flop for fear of getting raised or three-bet. Out of position Entity knows Jason might well make aggressive plays on the flop that his hand can't withstand. So he check-calls the flop with the intent of leading the turn for the purpose of hand protection and not letting the hand get out of control on the flop. The reason I find this to be somewhat unlikely is that Rob may not be able to feel he can confidently fold to a turn raise, because Jason will raise with so much here (including for a free showdown). (Hands that might attempt this line: 8s with a face-card, maybe pocket pairs like 66 or 99; an outside chance of a very weak A).

3. Entity is bluffing and figures that this slightly cryptic move is more likely to encourage Jason_t to fold a better hand than is check-raising the turn or something like that; the key here would be that Rob recognizes the pot size and figures that Jason_t will be folding often here because Rob has effectively hand-cuffed Jason and forced him to a decision into a pot that is not really worth fighting for. Note that I don't believe that Rob would lead here with a legitimate draw, because Jason is to likely to raise the turn with a mediocre (or strong hand), which I imagine would include any A (I would recommending raise the turn with most As here). Hence if Rob had hearts or clubs a check-call would be much better in order to avoid spewing with legit draws.

I've actually had a similar play run on me several times by a player in a local game (who is generally recognized as a poor player) and often have trouble with it, because I simply ccan't find a viable line of response in what is usually a small, heads-up pot. Almost every time I've found nothing else to do but fold.

I'll ultimately end up advocating a fold here because the play on Rob's part is just asking for an aggressive response from Jason. He likely is not making this bet with the intent to fold to a raise unless on a pure bluff, as Rob knows Jason will be raising a ton of stuff here.

Rob plays good. Jason finds this to be the point to concede.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:21 PM

4 handed I show down pairs against FPS LAGs. Call it down.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-13-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4 handed I show down pairs against FPS LAGs. Call it down.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a FPS LAG? I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult, coming from you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 08-13-2005, 05:16 PM

so what did Jason end up doing?
and what did you have Entity?