Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: AK in three-handed 5/10 NL (live)

[ QUOTE ]
it is not about whether villain has a J. you're playing HU, when there are three cards on the board, there are three pairs villain can have and be losing and still call a bet or raise or whatever.

on AJJ it can only be a weaker ace that calls and is behind. there are so few hands you are beating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight, on a AJ7 flop, Villain can call with a naked 7, but on an AJJ flop, he can't call with KK?

[ QUOTE ]
otherwise you have to stop thinking about only your cards and what you are worried about. think about what you are not worried about but what you can get value from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how you got the impression that I was worrying only about my own cards. I specifically said that, given my usual image, I get more money out of QQ and KK (and probably Ax as well) by leading the flop. Maybe my line is not correct for someone with a tighter image, but even then I believe it is a close call. Stop being a dick.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:23 AM

uh a) i'm not being a dick by giving advice if you get so offended then stop reading the forum.

b) yes i would much rather call with a naked 7 and a backdoor draw than KK on an AJ7 flop. more likely which you conveniently ignored is calling with a J... in either event you are ahead. and people will more often call with these hands because they have more outs if you do in fact have an A which they don't give you credit for.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also i have had the mistake of people saying crap like "its just too obvious if i check the flop." so what? you are still not going to generate action from hands you don't beat.

or when you raise 88 and flop comes 855 (it's just too obvious if i check) so you bet and everyone folds. unless it is a hyper aggro game and you have a crazy image if no one has sh-it theyre usually not going to play back at you. slow playing is actually allowed despite how we've berated the whole idea daily on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the situations you describe, I usually like to lead the flop. I get called more often you might believe. It often is profitable to then slow down on the turn and maybe overbet the river. Again, stop being a dick.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:28 AM

i don't always check the flop there, i often lead it too. but sometimes i don't. it depends what i think the people i'm playing with have. if i think they don't have crap i'm not going to bet unless i think they want to play back at me.

you can keep calling me a dick, which is weird, or you can listen to what i'm saying.

in terms of the hand actually being discussed here it is highly unlikely that villain has like kk or whatever anyway given the preflop action and that it is 3 handed.

but im not sayingit is wrong to bet it it just comes down to the range of possibilities i put villain on and whether i can get value if/when i bet these hands (and more value than checking can get since betting is deceptive of strength).
Old 08-12-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't always check the flop there, i often lead it too. but sometimes i don't. it depends what i think the people i'm playing with have. if i think they don't have crap i'm not going to bet unless i think they want to play back at me.

you can keep calling me a dick, which is weird, or you can listen to what i'm saying.

in terms of the hand actually being discussed here it is highly unlikely that villain has like kk or whatever anyway given the preflop action and that it is 3 handed.

but im not sayingit is wrong to bet it it just comes down to the range of possibilities i put villain on and whether i can get value if/when i bet these hands (and more value than checking can get since betting is deceptive of strength).

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, if your ultimate conclusion is that the optimal line depends on your opponents and your own image, I of course agree.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why are there so many different bobs on the site? there's actionbob, pokerbob, classicbob, and now fryingbob. what's the deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

alot of people are named robert
Old 08-12-2005, 12:32 PM

sorry to bring it back up but i forgto to highlight another obvious point, that you aren't worried about giving a free card and letting opponent catch 2 pair on AJJ flop.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
uh a) i'm not being a dick by giving advice if you get so offended then stop reading the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my last comment on this thread. I got irritated when you told me to stop worrying only about my own cards. That is the sort of advice that I would give a total neophyte. If you didn't intend it as an assholish remark, then I guess I took it the wrong way.

[ QUOTE ]
b) yes i would much rather call with a naked 7 and a backdoor draw than KK on an AJ7 flop. more likely which you conveniently ignored is calling with a J... in either event you are ahead. and people will more often call with these hands because they have more outs if you do in fact have an A which they don't give you credit for.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this talk about calling an AJ7 flop with a naked 7 is irrelevant. The OP rightly put Villain on a much narrower range of hands (99-AA, AK, AQ) given the preflop action. If Villain has one 7 in his hand here, he probably has another one to go along with it.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:35 PM

hi Art,

I've skimmed the other replies but not read them thoroughly, but here are some thoughts.....

[ QUOTE ]
285 in the pot with 660 behind

[/ QUOTE ]

this tells you everything you need to know about the hand....you are committed, period, now what's the best way to get all his money in the pot.....there is not one correct answer here and much of it is situation dependent....especially since this is a live game and NOT an online one, I think several lines could be right.....

you are out of position and you reraised preflop, what does that usually mean to your opponent based on what he thinks of you?.....95% big pair?.....20% AK?....x% air?....you see what I'm getting at....

so, the main question you need to ask yourself is: how likely is it that you induce a big bet by him if you check the flop?......

contrary to what people are saying, I would never check this flop under certain circumstances....i.e. - if my opponent is passive (doesn't bluff) and my image is LAGgy, needlessly giving a free card in a pot of this size is WRONG......if you think there is a good chance your opponent will bet (because obviously the ace can be a good scare card if he has you on a big pair), go ahead and check.....if he bets, you can checkraise him right there......if he folds, you got the most you're gonna get out of him and if he has any kind of hand whatsoever he'll have a tough time letting go of it being that far pot committed.....

now, on the other hand, if you decide that it is not all that likely to induce a bet by checking, betting out is your better option......so how much do you bet?.....well, again, it depends.....the idea is that you want all the rest of his money, so whatever route you think is best based on what he thinks of you is fine..... if I've been speeding around in a game, and my opponent is a good player, I would often just go all-in on the flop (looks much more like I don't have the ace) and expect to be auto-called by good pocket pairs.....or, if my opponent is a total fish I might put him on the installment plan where I bet something like $200 on the flop, $200 on the turn, $200 on the river, etc.....

anyway, those are some ideas and the main thing I wanted to bring up is that it is definitely not always correct to check the flop.....if you get beat in a big pot because you gave a free card to a passive player, it is a catastrophe....
Old 08-12-2005, 11:26 PM

move all in, you know your not laying it down unless you have a read on that certain player. the better play is the bet and get called than to bet and have a decision to make and give the other player a chance to make a play on you.