Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Jacks Played Poorly--Any Help?

Raise pf. Bet flop. The way you played it, I'd check/3-bet, not check/call two. On the turn, call. Your bet was good, but a little late. Check/call the river.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I checked pre-flop because of all the callers (with likely overcards) and the fact that I was out of position. Usually this is a raise for me (and trust me, I am not a weak player), but I had just read something saying that with four or more callers, you could try just checking jacks from the BB due to the positional disadvantage.

From there, I wanted to get in a check-raise on the flop, not bet it out due to the fact that I could just be building a pot for flush and/or straight draws. However, mwbeirne's raise on the flop made me suspicious that he might already have the nut straight (or at the very least, a very strong hand, two pair or trips, possibly).

I don't think the rest of the hand was worth going into calldown mode, especially with the jack high flush draw (against a likely made hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything you said here is wrong, including where you said you weren't a weak player. Rewire your poker brain. If you think a raise on the flop means someone has the nut straight, you're super weak-tight.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:30 AM

Raise preflop is standard
Bet the flop to protect, you probably have the best hand but is quite vulnerable. If you had raised preflop, a quite likely scenario is that you could have trapped the field for calling two cold.
Button could be raising for a free card, since a heart falls on the turn I think you should check, when button bets you have to decide between folding and raising to trap UTG+2 for 2 BB. You have 9 outs which you probably have to discount, I would raise and call Button down. Then I would expect him to show a stronger flush than mine.