Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Fighting a war for your country it\'s just not another job

Good point, if you expand the horizon it is even more valid. GWB claims to be leading a war against terror. According to him terror is a threat to citizens in large parts of the world (in which he is right) and the war in Iraq is necessary. Still he slitghtly struggles to get his own population to join, and the population in most of the other countries posed with the terrorism as a threat is not joining.

GWB's response to this has been quite good. He seems to have adjusted his rhetoric and actions, to make it more acceptable to the average world citizen. But I think he has done too much damage already though and lacks credibility, so any joint global effort to fight terrorism is unlikely during his presidency. This war cannot be won by US only, its understanding of the mechanisms of terror and its resources is not sufficient.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How about this analgy, cancer research always NEEDS money, and eveyone supports curing cancer, when you last baught your TV did you stop and think, maybe I shouldn't buy this and domate the money to help cure cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst. Spelling. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but FYP.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:20 PM

1)Are we at war, actually? I don't remember Congress ever declaring us to be at war with Iraq or Afghanistan? Did that ever happen? If not, then we are essentially in a police action, much like the one in Vietnam. Can someone provide a link on this, one way or the other?

2)I have a herniated disc in my back and a surgically reconstructed ankle. That said, if I thought they'd let me go, I would have joined four years ago.

3)This is a voluntary army. There is no draft. That tremendous sense of patriotism that you are getting, I'm assuming, from your grandfather's generation is largely due to the fact that they gained that patriotism while they were in the service. They had no choice to join the army, so they did. In essence, until they had it, they faked it.

4)We are not fighting a clear enemy. Who are we fighting? In WWI, the Germans/Axis. In WWII, Germany/Italy. In the first Gulf War, the Iraqis. Who are we fighting now? The insurgents? Terror? WMDs? It is hard to fight when there is no clear entity to fight. This is a shade of gray undertaking, with no clear enemy, objective, or victory. Those are some of the reasons I don't join.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your country is at war, you think the war is a just and a necessary one, they need volunteers and you have the physical capabilities to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying the burden of doing the hard work for a better world only rests on those who support the war?

Are you and your pals just freeloaders? Reaping the benefits of a better world, but not contributing your share?

Should tax freeloaders (tax avoiders) be able to get a free ride because they do not "support" the tax system, or what our taxes are being spent on?

Be men, you liberals, and do your part towards making the world better. You don't get a free ride here.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be men, you liberals

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, liberals, be men, like BGC, who fought and served his country bravel...oh...wait...wait...

Nevermind.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be men, you liberals, and do your part towards making the world better. You don't get a free ride here.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those of you who couldn't comprehend what I meant by calling some war supporters hypocrites, here's case 1A:

Little skirt-wearing, sissy girls like BGC would rather sit safely behind his computer than grow a sack, enlist, and go fight for what he claims to believe - yet he tells others to "be men."

How I laugh at you, little boy.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:25 PM

dont fall into the trap of making threads that have merit into personal attacks by making them or responding to them lest we lose our good minds and no longer have worthwhile discussions..
Old 08-11-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont fall into the trap of making threads that have merit into personal attacks by making them or responding to them lest we lose our good minds and no longer have worthwhile discussions..

[/ QUOTE ]

BGC used a coded attack about gender and ideology by demanding liberals 'be men'. I used a similar attack, I just un-coded it and reversed it, so to speak. Hold my feet to the fire, if you will, but I stand by it.

I think 'good minds' deserve debate that are couched in the starkest terms possible. I could have refuted BGC's post in a way that had more tact; but that would have come at the expense of the acuity I desired.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sirio

why arent you over there fighting side by side.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I don't think this is a just war; the iraqis didn't do anything to the US. Besides, I don't like to kill people. But of course I could make an exception if the life of a member in my family is in danger; or if the future of the human race is at stake.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:21 PM

A sidebar to the OP's question.

If you believe that your country is involved in an unjust, unnecessary war and you know your tax dollars are funding this war why do you continue to pay your taxes? Why don't you have the courage to stand up for what you believe and face the consequences of not paying your taxes?

In other words, why aren't the most passionate posters here either at war or in jail?