Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .....................

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And when I can play 4 tables well, I will be playing four tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you up your game to 4 tables or would you instead up your limits and still play 2 tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would likely play four tables at 0.50/1.00 until I felt comfortable four tabling. Then I'd return to 5/10 and add a 3rd and 4th table assuming I still felt comfortable. When I move up to 10/20, I'll almost certainly begin with 2 tables but would hope to be able to play 4 in time.

I never really tried 4 tabling until I was at 3/6 full -- when I started at 1/2 I was focused on learning to play / improving my play and wanted to move up as quickly as I could. Now I feel I learn more and improve my game more by working offline (studying, reading here, reviewing my play) so the benefits I felt I enjoyed as a newish player from concentrating on each play are less obvious now, and I feel I can capture those benefits primarily away from the tables. The benefits of playing 4 tables well rather than 2 tables well are obvious.

The only reason I even posted in this thread is that I thought your OP was over the top -- the opinions you expressed in the OP may be great and perfectly accurate for you and your game but that doesn't mean they are accurate for others. As I said, if I could play 4 tables well now I would be and I don't think my game would suffer for it (my WR might a bit, but not my game).
Old 08-08-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason I even posted in this thread is that I thought your OP was over the top -- the opinions you expressed in the OP may be great and perfectly accurate for you and your game but that doesn't mean they are accurate for others

[/ QUOTE ]

Title of thread suggests it was aimed at players with low winrate and whiners about downswings.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Doesn't matter.

I was objecting to your statements about what is and what is not possible for multi-tablers. While I can't currently 4-table well, I know players who can. Whether one's winrate is lower than one would like is immaterial to your series of declarative statements regarding what is possible and what good players do, as well as assuming that anyone 4-tabling is playing a "formula game." Just because you or I can't do it doesn't mean that others can't, and certainly doesn't mean that one must be an expert to do so. Nor does one's opinion that 2-tabling is far more enjoyable than adding more tables ring true for every player.

While I may be sympathetic to a lot of the opinions you raised, they are in fact opinions and not the shining light of truth that your post came across as.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 PM

As is the problem with many posts of this nature, the OP's post is sometimes very good and logical, and in other areas, its horrible flawed.

There are many people who feel like they need to try to play more and more tables because others are doing it scuessfully, and they inceorrectly assume that this automatically means that they can. Some people can play more tables without a significant decrease in the quality of their play, and for others this simply won't be true.

Another thing that was just silly about the OP was the comment about VPIP. While that VPIP might be best for you in your game, i can hands down guarentee you there is nothing magical about your numbers. People who can play well postflop can and should be playing more hands then you are, and to assert that that this is a benefit of two tabling is silly.

As per bankroll, since most people will experience a decline in their WR the more hands they play, having a slightly bigger bankroll is neccesary. However, don't count out the fact that there are some people who play too impatiently 1 tabling, but might tighten a bit since they get more hands in as they play more tables. For these fews exceptions, their WR would not drop as they added a few tables.

In conclusion, it's safe to say that a lot of the low limit short handed games are both soft and predictable, and its fine for many people to play 4-8 tables. Once you get to 10-20, it becomes more difficult, although i still find 6 tables quite manageable. People who aren't good at multi-tabling and experience significant drop offs in their play should not do it, and you should always add one table at a time to see how comfotable you are with it.

Gabe
Old 08-08-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .........................

Poker is all luck anyway. Doesn't matter how many tables you play.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Low winrate? Painful downswings? Then dont .........................

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is all luck anyway. Doesn't matter how many tables you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why the game is banned in Norway. Norwegian government says no skill involved.