Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Re: The Holy Crap Trade

[ QUOTE ]
This team will have two good outside shooters,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see any. Walker is one of the worst 3pt shooters of all time when you consider just how much he shoots it. Williams is also a terrible shooter. Have you seen their %'s?? Brick city coming to Miami.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:20 AM

A big thing missing from this excellent chart is the substantial trade exception ($5 million) Boston receives.

I'm a Celtics fan myself, and this is a decent trade for us. A bit of a letdown because there had been rumors of us getting Williams and possibly exchanging Blount for Lorenzen Wright, but the fact of the matter is that Antoine was going to Miami in free agency anyway, and at least we got something for him. We'll cut Woods right away, I believe that Borchardt is only under contract for one more year, and Miralles will stay in Spain, so we're not really on the hook for a bunch of salaries.

That, and the trade exception, give us a bunch of flexibility.

-McGee
Old 08-03-2005, 02:57 PM

I think in both cases, the not as great three percentages are probably because they jack up some bad shots. I haven't seen too much of Antoine Walker, but I've seen Jason Williams take many bad threes. Improve the shot selection and they may be very good three point shooters.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:05 AM

The clear winners are the Celtics. They finally unloaded their albatross, and they got three players (probably not very good players, but roster fillers at least), cash, and most importantly, future draft picks out of the deal. All this for someone they were going to dump anyway. Always great to get something for nothing.

I like this trade for the Grizz as well. J Will wasn't jiving well with the Czar and they needed to unload him. Posey is a decent player, but Eddie Jones is definitely an upgrade. He's become extremely underrated recently, but he's still a very capable scorer and play maker. I would have kept Ostertag, but they got a decent young player for him so it's no big loss.

Utah lost their minds. Ostertag remains a fairly capable role player, but he is not worth any three players, especially three young players who all averaged more ppg than Ostertag last season, including a 7 footer(!). Ostertag's body will not hold up long enough to make this a worthwhile deal, and his fanfriendliness will not make up for the value they're giving up.

As for the Hornets, I've never heard of Roberto Duenas, but Rasual Butler is a very capable player, as is Kirk Snyder, so I'm thinking they came out on top.

I'll go on record and say that this is a horrible trade for the Heat. They get a guy, Walker, who has never managed to work well with anyone in his entire career. He's a ballhog and a chucker. He had trouble stepping down to second option to let Paul Pierce become the go-to-guy. How is he going to play third fiddle? This on a team that is already having trouble finding enough shots for everyone, as evidenced by Shaq's being upset at not getting enough touches in game 7 last year. He will not be a good fit for this team, because he's not a good fit for any team, except perhaps Atlanta, where he can take 60 shots a game and no one will care. Jason Williams presents a similar problem, but on a much smaller scale. He has a history of taking bad shots at bad times, and not distributing the ball as much as he should. He has largely overcome these problems and has developed into a solid passing pg. Still, he can't shoot, and that's something that Miami will be sorely missing next season if they don't return Damon Jones. The worst thing about Williams is that, much like Walker, he has proven to be nearly uncoachable. Basically, the Heat gave up two proven winners who came up big for them last year (Jones and Butler) for two locker room cancers who are going to what they can to destroy the cohesion of the team. Stan Van Gundy has his work cut out for him.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in both cases, the not as great three percentages are probably because they jack up some bad shots. I haven't seen too much of Antoine Walker, but I've seen Jason Williams take many bad threes. Improve the shot selection and they may be very good three point shooters.

[/ QUOTE ]

When your career numbers look like this:

[ QUOTE ]
YEAR TEAM 3P%
96-97 BOS 0.327
97-98 BOS 0.312
98-99 BOS 0.369
99-00 BOS 0.256
00-01 BOS 0.367
01-02 BOS 0.344
02-03 BOS 0.323
03-04 DAL 0.269
04-05 ATL 0.317
04-05 BOS 0.342
04-05 -- 0.323
Career 0.326

[/ QUOTE ]

Or this:

[ QUOTE ]
YEAR TEAM 3P%
98-99 SAC 0.31
99-00 SAC 0.287
00-01 SAC 0.315
01-02 MEM 0.295
02-03 MEM 0.354
03-04 MEM 0.33
04-05 MEM 0.324
Career 0.315

[/ QUOTE ]

....it's not because you are a good shooter.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:08 AM

heat win this if antoine walker accepts a reduced role which i think he can. he's a pretty capable rebounder from the three, and could be a nice option when shaq and wade are on the bench. good luck any east conference threes if they have to guard him on the post
Old 08-04-2005, 03:13 PM

I know what they're numbers are, I'm just saying both are known for jacking up a lot of shots, some of them bad. I shouldn't say that they could become "very good" though, so I take that back. Shooting 33% from three is the equivalent to shooting 50% from two, so they can at least be effective three point shooters. Upper thirties makes you one of the best.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:33 PM

I would not be surprised to see Williams shoot almost 40% from three this year. See the jump in Jones's 3 pt% last year.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:37 PM

Whoever took Greg Ostertag made a mistake.

Nice chart.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think tbach is gonna like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually love it. I originally thought that we lost Banks, but since it's only getting rid of 'tione it probably helps us out in future cap room considerations. I want to be able to keep our young guys together.