Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Accused wrongly of cheating

How often do you play golf there? I should think that after months have passed, they would have realized that you played the "round of your life" when you won the 2K.

They should also realize that if they lost their entire stacks playing 1/2 pot limit, then you were gracious enough to hand it back to them, then you won it all again on top of money they didn't have in pocket...either you caught a very nice run of cards or they don't have any business playing this game.

I would also think that the sums of money you are talking about are not enormous for members of one of the best courses in the UK. And when it comes to the pool/snooker players...either they weren't that good to begin with or they would have arranged rematches with you.

Certain elements of your story don't seem to add up to me. But maybe they just don't translate well across the pond.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Money definately gets in the way of making friends, so if you are concerned more with making friends, don't play for money unless you are being goaded. Then take it and they won't ask you again. I've stopped playing poker with some of my friends for this exact reason. Save your classy poker skills for strangers.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 PM

Here's something that happened to me. I use it as an example of how you might approach them with your dilemna. This is the "kill them with kindness and logic approach":

I was playing with friends that didn't really know much about poker. They watch it on tv. It was a friendly game $5 buy in. One guy was there that I didn't know. Boyfriend (BF) of someone that worked with my friend.

I didn't play many hands but the ones i did play in I won big pots and over time aquired the biggest stack at the table.

He was drinking the entire time. As he got more drunk he started losing til he busted out.

He started to wonder out loud how my chip stack got so big.
I was the banker and would periodically exchange my smaller chips for bigger denomination chips. Everytime I did this I told the entire table, brought the bank chips on the table and explicitly showed what I was putting in and taking out.

This guy kept getting louder about how he doesn't know I possibly aquired so many chips. I kept offering to count the chips on the table and compare that to the cash in the bank. Showing him that both were equal therefore no chips had been added. He kept refusing. His vibe at the table became so aggrivated that it wasn't fun anymore and I decided to pull out of the game. Everyone else did to. I again offered before everyone cashed out to count the chips vs the cash to show that they would be even. He declined again. After we cashed in, of course, The number of chips was equal to the cash in the bank.
We cashed in I had 30 bucks and was the "big" winner. BF asked who wone the most. Another guy replied that I did. BR responded with "Way to go cheater". He was drunk and I just didn't say anything. Everyone else was great and knew I hadn't cheated.

The point of this story and how it relates to yours is:
Confront them on how they think you cheated them. Tell them that if you did cheat then one of THEM, the guy on your right, would have had to have been in on it too since he cut the deck after your shuffle. That it's exactly why a cut occurs. It's also why you burn cards. For you to have manipulated the deck with a cut and buring cards is nearly if not impossible. Be very polite and ask them how they, rationally or intelligently think you could have possibly cheated with two built in elements that prevent people from cheating (the cut and the burns). Tell them that them telling everyone that you cheated is hurting you at the club and that you'd like to know what you can do to help them feel more comfortable about what happened. Tell them that you don't expect them to pay you what you won but if there's anything you can do to overcome their "feeling" that you cheated you'll be glad to do it. If they say they want to play again tell them that your sincerely sorry but that you have a set rule that you can't play with anyone that A: owes you money for any reason, B: Hasn't paid you for past games.
Tell them it's just a hard rule you've set up for yourself a long time ago for the "Obvious" reasons. Tell them it's nothing personal.

I don't know these guys or the situation like you do but I've found the "killing with kindness and logic" to be effective in the past.

Once again, good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 PM

your forgot about banging their wives...
Old 08-05-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your forgot about banging their wives...

[/ QUOTE ]

Am considering a spite bang once I get back to the UK.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:05 AM

i will never belong to a golf club, or have this sort of problem in my life, hopefully.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:06 PM

A threesome with both their wives would be the Ultimate Revenge
Old 08-06-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A videotaped threesome with both their wives would be the Ultimate Revenge

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 08-06-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They have impugned your honor. Your only option is to challenge them to a duel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if you aren't full of [censored] and the situation happened as you described it... All you need to do is say that or less in front of anyone else at the club.

You should consider yourself stupid in the first place for allowing them to go -$600 into pocket. This sounds like you are 10 years old trying to join the cool kids club at the cost of getting taken advantage of. Grow up.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like you are 10 years old trying to join the cool kids club at the cost of getting taken advantage of. Grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the world of social clubs. This is how it works.