Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: 16 NL teams,,,,,14 AL teams

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I would love to be a fan of a team in the NL Central where 1/6 will make the playoffs and see that the AL West has only 4 teams and 1/4 make the playoffs. It is retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very simplistic way of looking at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, however, a correct way of looking at it. More teams ultimately and necessarily means it's more difficult to win your division.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Cardinals get to play the truly awful teams like Pittsburgh and Cincinatti for most of their games. And you also get a decent amount against the NL West. The only real teams that you need to worry about during the season are the NL East teams.

Tell me, do you think your Cardinals have a good chance to beat Boston, New York, Chicago, Oakland, or Anaheim in a World Series? I don't. The NL is weaksauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to know how to read. The point is that 6-team divisions are harder to win than 4-team divisions. That is an emperical fact. You are trying to argue that the Cardinals are a better franchise than the Brewers - something totally irrelevant to the core theoretical discussion.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I would love to be a fan of a team in the NL Central where 1/6 will make the playoffs and see that the AL West has only 4 teams and 1/4 make the playoffs. It is retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is, however, a correct way of looking at it. More teams ultimately and necessarily means it's more difficult to win your division.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Cardinals get to play the truly awful teams like Pittsburgh and Cincinatti for most of their games. And you also get a decent amount against the NL West. The only real teams that you need to worry about during the season are the NL East teams.

Tell me, do you think your Cardinals have a good chance to beat Boston, New York, Chicago, Oakland, or Anaheim in a World Series? I don't. The NL is weaksauce.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to know how to read. The point is that 6-team divisions are harder to win than 4-team divisions. That is an emperical fact. You are trying to argue that the Cardinals are a better franchise than the Brewers - something totally irrelevant to the core theoretical discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not trying to say that it's easier to win a 6 team division, even when two of those teams are pathetic. I was just playing a little Devil's Advocate by pointing out that you really do have two incredibly awful teams in your division- one with horrible pitching and one with horrible offense.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be willing to bet you the Cubs have a better record than the Stros at the end of year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I want a piece of this too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer to keep it between the homers unless he doesn't want to do it, in which case I'll take other action. ok?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not trying to say that it's easier to win a 6 team division, even when two of those teams are pathetic. I was just playing a little Devil's Advocate by pointing out that you really do have two incredibly awful teams in your division- one with horrible pitching and one with horrible offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming 3 of the 6 teams are terrible (which I would suggest is not the case any more for Milwaukee at least), a 6-team division with 3 terrible teams may not be easier to win, but it may be a distinct advantage in the wild card race, assuming an unbalanced schedule.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming 3 of the 6 teams are terrible (which I would suggest is not the case any more for Milwaukee at least), a 6-team division with 3 terrible teams may not be easier to win, but it may be a distinct advantage in the wild card race, assuming an unbalanced schedule.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is what I was getting at. Yes, winning a 6-team division is harder, but you get a better shot at the wild card when you play more crappy teams.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Cards and Astros know that they are guaranteed to have a decent win rate against division opponents (whom they play more often) simply by virtue of not being horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

It simply amazes me how prognosticators and fans alike can, year after year, treat the beloved Cubbies like a better team than the Houston Astros. EVERY year the Cubs are picked to outplay the Astros, and ALMOST every year the exact opposite happens. Obviously my 'Stros aren't as marquee a team as the Cubs...but if you're gonna make that statement about who can be assured of not being awful, you should know that in the life of the NL Central, the win totals are:
St. Louis Cardinals - 633
Houston Astros - 627
Chicago Cubs - 554

The Astros have either won or shared the division title three times (and been to the playoffs another time as a wildcard), the Cardinals have either won or shared the division title three times, and the Cubs have won ONE division title (and then only because 88 wins was good enough to take it down).

And again this season...what's happening? Cardinals leading the division. Astros leading the wildcard. Cubs on a collision course with the golf course.

STOP DEIFYING THE CUBS. STOP PUTTING THEM UP THERE WITH THE CARDINALS...OR THE ASTROS. They haven't been that caliber of franchise for a LONG time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Settle down. I put the Cubs in instead of the Astros precisely because they exemplify a mediocre team that benefits from a weak schedule.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 PM

This is why I think baseball should expand to 32 teams. (I know it waters down the talent, but I don't care.) In my ideal world they would align into 4 eight team leagues. Everyone would play everyone else in their league 22 times for a 154 game season. Only league champions would qualify for the post season. The leagues could be aligned as follows:

AL
Red Sox
Yankees
Indians
Tigers
White Sox
A's
Twins
Orioles

NL
Phillies
Pirates
Reds
Cardinals
Cubs
Dodgers
Giants
Braves

CL
Devil Rays
Blue Jays
Royals
Rangers
Angles
Mariners
Expansion 1
Expansion 2

FL
Mets
Nationals
Marlins
Brewers
Astros
Padres
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Old 08-02-2005, 07:45 PM

The average probabilities of making the playoffs are as follows:

AL East, and AL central: (1/5)+(1/11)=0.2909

AL West: (1/4)+(1/11)=.3409

NL East, and NL West: (1/5)+(1/13)=.2769

NL Central: (1/6)+(1/13)=.2436

The number of teams in your division does make a difference, even if you take the wild card into account.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:48 PM

Alingments really shouldn't be done based on what teams are good at the moment. 20 years from now, all six teams in the NL central may be good, then it is even more unfair.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad Assumptions, or at least to general. The axiom you are relying on: more teams = always harder just sucks. According to it the western conference is as tough to in in the NBA than the east. Sure, on average a 6 team division will be harder to win. But you just said a 6 team division IS harder to win. Certainly a divisino with the White Sox, Twins, Yankees, and Red Sox would be much tougher than one with teh Mariners, Devil Rays, Marlins, Brewers, Tigers, and A's.