Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Is this Slow-Rolling or am I a Chump?

[ QUOTE ]
If the people before him hadn't acted, the guy did nothing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tough break on getting beat, but your reaction sounds like sour grapes.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:24 AM

I kind of agree here.
It's not THAT big a deal...and I think his intentions weren't too evil.

In the age of internet-poker players hitting the B&M scene (like me) there seems to be some confusion about how and when you're supposed to show. online they already do it for you of course.

at the mirage during the WSOP there were just a few of us playing a friendly game of 3/6.
And this one idiot on the other end of the table slow-rolls his AA AFTER he was the one who bet on the river and the other two guys called him.
one guy showed top pair or something and he was waiting for the other guy to show. the other guy looked at the slow-roller and was waiting for him to show....the slow-roller still didn't know...finally the other guy turned his hand up and told the top-pair-old-guy 'looks like you got it' and THEN the young idiot showed his AA.
some people are just stupid.

the guy who got slow-rolled was a WSOP dealer (still wearing his shirt from that night) and politely explained that he better not do that in a more serious game or he'll have some real troubles. he clearly explained that HE didn't care...it was just a friendly, stupid game.
kid just complains to some guy joining the table a bit later sitting next to him about the old guys who were getting on his case.
they were very seriously trying to warn him that he breached the etiquette of the game REALLY badly...and I could hear the kid tell the new player about these old guys who got pissy because he won a hand.

No REAL point to the story...except that some people are so stupid they don't even know what slow-rolling is or when they are doing it. and a select few are so stupid that they STILL don't know what it is even AFTER you tell them that they were just doing it.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:50 AM

I routinely slowroll dickhead LAGs, plus I like to needle them. It makes them LAGgier.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:51 AM

Oh god I wish I had been at this table. Very few things in life rank higher on my list of "things I enjoy doing way too much" than playing with a tilting Willy D.

This does suck, but doesn't sound like that bad a breach of conduct. I saw much, much worse that same weekend at Foxwoods (including the 10-20 stud hand where the guy didn't raise Queens full on the river that you saw... I just consider it bad form not to raise clear winners on the river).
Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the people before him hadn't acted, the guy did nothing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tough break on getting beat, but your reaction sounds like sour grapes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be the first to admit that my grapes were extremely, extremely sour.

I still do find it so frustrating that players are so remarkably concerned with not showing their hand until it's their turn. As if they're trying to protect nuggets of information that will somehow keeping them only losing 2 BB/hr instead of 2 1/4.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that this is true. But does anyone else not agree that people obsessively holding on to their hands to the very last moment when they can officially turn over their hand, while within the rules, is somewhat against the spirit/etiquette of the game.

The fact that it is a 35BB pot and that I lost of course matter. My thought is that the fact the pot was so large should encourage players to be a little bit more straightforward and upfront and not be obnoxious about exposing their hands.

FWIW, this player had been very slow to reveal his hand consistently throughout the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like your opponent just wasn't nearly as excited to win the pot as you were. Maybe a diffrence of experience levels is to blame here.