Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: 10/25 UB flush draw

[ QUOTE ]

I think check raising would be a better line, as it may earn you a free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. Aggressive opponents, at least in my opinion, never call a check raise, then let you check the turn and get a free card. If you check that turn you are a dead man.

Think about it? What hands check-raise a flop, and then check the turn assuming it's a brick?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 PM

A lot of people have said this before, but how do you play this flop when you hold 99 or bottom set? I like the lead idea.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Think about it? What hands check-raise a flop, and then check the turn assuming it's a brick?

[/ QUOTE ]

loose opponents who arent sure their kicker is good?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people have said this before, but how do you play this flop when you hold 99 or bottom set? I like the lead idea.

[/ QUOTE ]*I assume you mean 77

I lead out and if I get raised I push. If I get flat called I typically lead the turn and decide from there.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:48 PM

I would lead out for about 150 try to build the pot. I think the goal here is to get the pot as high as possible. If someone plays back at you, the flush possibilty will compensate for your kicker issues. I like betting here as opposed to a check raise. Long run this will prove to be more profitable.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:17 AM

i like the bet-3bet all in plan. typical of a big draw. a few caveats people fail to realize

1. if a villain can raise diablo's flop bet on this board, thye likely can call an all in

2. if villain (either pfr or button) smooth calls, what hand range do you put them on?

3. just because mp opened doesn't mean he has an ace. diablo could have best hand and best draw.

everyone seems so sold on bet-3bet, and i must admit it is what i do here, too, (kinda natural inclination) but I think check-calling is better.

if either villain (pfr or button) has lower flush draw, you get to bust them. if pfr will fire continuation bets with hands drawing to rr (like kq, jt, etc.) or one or two outs (underpairs) no need to blow them out. they likely wont raise a flop bet, anyway.

plus you get to see button react to a supposed pfr continuation bet, which is always nice. position relative to the raiser. woohoo.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:20 AM

If I feel confident I am going to get a chance to check-raise, I would do so. If he bets the pot, I'm going to re-pot it. Should he move in you get a good price calling off your last ~1000 regardless of his holding.

If I am not so confident of getting to check-raise, I'm going to lead, and hope to get raised by AK/AQ so that I can jack my money in with a 12 outer and fold equity. If evil villain merely flat-calls my bet I'm going to scream "DIAMOND!" at the computer right before the turn card comes off.

What was your plan?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:31 AM

I dont lead the flop often after calling a reraise, but maybe I should mroe. I think in this type of game a bet/reraise spot isnt terrible as opponents will likely lay down AT-AQ type hands, but who knows. I tend to check call the flop and hope an aggressive opponent continues to bet with a range of hands I'm ahead of even if I don't improve. If I hit the flush on the turn I'd lead out, otherwise I'd probably check/call the turn... Same for the river although I guess sometimes I'd check/fold because it does depend on my opponent. The last thing you want to do here is to stop your opponent from bluffing. You really are in a spot where you arent in big trouble if you make a huge pot on the flop, but you're likely just flipping a coin. You'll get more value out of this hand by playing it passively especially in the bigger games on UB. If you are playing a passive opponent, he will likely give up on the turn and you can just check the river through if you dont improve with likely the best hand.

-Jason
Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If evil villain merely flat-calls my bet I'm going to scream "DIAMOND!" at the computer right before the turn card comes off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta say, screaming was not the REAL faceman's style. He was always cool and collected.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:03 AM

so, nobody would just bet all their money. think its better to try to get another 900 or so from somebody in hopes that they will put that in and then fold for less than a pot sized raise. or just lock up that 300 now most of the time.

what about the event when you are against a smaller flush draw. wouldnt you want to maybe play it so you get to break him.

might a check raise be better to run out the bigger ace if they have it.

wont just a small bet on the flop get you broke when you hit two pair and run into a straight.

what about the guy who thought it was 2 to one here against ace king. is he in the wrong forum or just isnt thinking clearly. did the rest of you really know its about a toss up.

some thoughts.