Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Flopped 2pr to broadway flop - what should I do

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pushing gains nothing and loses everything in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very wrong. If neither other player has a straight or flush draw it denies them the proper odds to continue. I think we're frequently ahead here and I don't want to give my opponents a free chance to draw out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, limper did have two suited cards, as I correctly presumed. You can't ignore reads in this spot, and that's exactly what you've done. He's a donk, he is likely to call on a flush draw, and if you bet, he raises, and you now can't see the river. Are they really going to be on a flush draw now 3 spades are on the board? Seriously? They've either hit it or have something totally different.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

(He put BB in original post - see the "1st limper calls" bit? Who has also "played every hand" so is more likely to have "two suited cards", because he is terrible).

[/ QUOTE ]

He's also more likely to have J7 or A4 than most players. While he frequently will have the draw, he can also be hanging around with garbage.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(He put BB in original post - see the "1st limper calls" bit? Who has also "played every hand" so is more likely to have "two suited cards", because he is terrible).

[/ QUOTE ]

He's also more likely to have J7 or A4 than most players. While he frequently will have the draw, he can also be hanging around with garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then how does it hurt us to see the river for free?!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not the only player in the hand, he'll probably pay off TPNK hands, a third of the deck either kills our river action or costs us the pot.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:44 AM

So SB and I check - the limper pushes, the SB folds - what do I do now?

If you read my final hand post u will see my thinking on what the limper might have (after my turn bet I have >400 chips left to win about 3.5K to his push - so its an easy call?) but if I check and he pushes I have 800 or so chips left - do I call or fold his push if I check?

This is a tricky situation - my own fault I know, but I am deep in it now! I appreciate everyones input coz I KNOW I will be in a similar situation in the future, so I could do with some advice

Thanks all

Damian

[ QUOTE ]
why not just check, see what the limper does? - so why push when you could just check and hit one of those 4 outs for absolutely nothing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SB checks - I bet half my stack (400 chips) assuming the limper will fold and trying to induce the all in from the SB (assuming my AK read is correct)

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate this bet. Why do you assume the limper will fold for 400 more? By my calculation, there is 2,250 in the pot and your bet of 400 can be called by all manner of draws. Your thinking here looks like FPS. Don't try to be so tricky. If you're going to bet, just push.

You are going to be shown the flush here a significant percentage of the time, but I think you're ahead here more often.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So SB and I check - the limper pushes, the SB folds - what do I do now?

If you read my final hand post u will see my thinking on what the limper might have (after my turn bet I have >400 chips left to win about 3.5K to his push - so its an easy call?) but if I check and he pushes I have 800 or so chips left - do I call or fold his push if I check?

This is a tricky situation - my own fault I know, but I am deep in it now! I appreciate everyones input coz I KNOW I will be in a similar situation in the future, so I could do with some advice

Thanks all

Damian

[/ QUOTE ]

You grimace and call. But I don't think he would do this. You know what these loose-passive types are like, they'll try to "slow roll" the flush now they've hit it to try to get you to "bluff" on the river. At the very least this line gives the chance for this to happen.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not the only player in the hand, he'll probably pay off TPNK hands, a third of the deck either kills our river action or costs us the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I think betting this turn goes against all tournament strategy and theory. In a ring game it's possibly right.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You grimace and call. But I don't think he would do this. You know what these loose-passive types are like, they'll try to "slow roll" the flush now they've hit it to try to get you to "bluff" on the river. At the very least this line gives the chance for this to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't want to push on the turn, but you'll check-call for your entire stack? I think most drawing hands are not going to try semi-bluffing here because the pot is so large, so you're just giving free cards when ahead and calling when behind. I think this is a bad line to take. If you're convinced that you're already behind, check-fold. Otherwise, push now. This is not a board where you can afford to give free cards.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:50 AM

I didn't read any of the posts before typing my response, fwiw.

check/muck.

The [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] could destry you, and the fact that you are sandwiched between two players isn't very helpful. Additionally, the player acting last smooth called a huge raise, cold. So a set is likely and since this player is poor could be spades as well.

fold, to the initial preflop raise, OOP

=\