Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Results

I called. I think after reading all of these replies that it was a mistake. Heck, I thought at the time it might be a mistake, that's why I posted to get feedback. (And yes, I should have raised pre-flop!)

My reasoning: I figured at this level there are a whole lot of players who would push with top pair. Even though I was behind if he had Kx (which I thought was his most likely hand) I had so many outs it was basically a coin flip.

I've read TPFAP and I know it says that the best players avoid coin flips for big pots, preferring to gradually build their stacks. But I also know that I am NOT one of the best players, and I better take the coin flip.

I'm not sure I'd do it again, but this time it worked. He showed Kd 10d. The turn was a blank and the river was 10h giving him top 2 pair but giving me the flush.

I went out about 15 minutes later when my pre-flop push with KK got called by a bigger stack who had 66 and hit his set.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: All-in early in tournament -- call or not?

I think I would fold. I would rather cut my losses and keep playing in this situation. Some people would take this chance to double up. I dont think its a bad idea.
Why dont you raise preflop and why do you bet the flop? You have ace high at that point.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:10 AM

Fold. Let it go this early because you are not even getting 2-1 odds to go all in on a flush draw.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Question for the more experienced. Change the cards to this:

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],

Board is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],

Now do you call?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's about five minutes into the PokerStars 5+.50 8:10PM tournament. I'm in the big blind with no reads on anybody yet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter

UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1650)
MP1 (t1340)
MP2 (t1800)
CO (t1470)
Button (t3130)
SB (t1460)
Hero (t1240)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t60) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t50</font>, CO calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t1440</font>

Call all-in or fold? And why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess if $5 isnt taht much to you (seriously) I'd call. Might as well take a shot to double up cuz you'll need to for the bigger money. Who knows, maybe he has just a flush draw and your Ace will win.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for the more experienced. Change the cards to this:

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],

Board is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],

Now do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case it's unlikely that your opponent has AQ or KQ w/o having raised preflop meaning both your overcards are likely live if he has top pair (his most likely holding in a $5 IMO), making you a slight favorite. And there's still the possibility of him pushing a worse draw in which case your unmade hand crushes his. I like to build my chips early online since the structures are typically fast so I'd certainly call here even though my edge figures to be minimal most times. In the original example, i probably fold as I'd think I was taking slightly the worst getting bad odds.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:54 AM

Big Raise pre flop and all in on the flop for me.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:02 PM

That's what I was thinking. In the original example, I would think your Queen is most likely not live. Of course if they're making the play with 2 high hearts, then they can't have the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I would think they would more likely make this play with a K, in which case your Q isn't live taking away 3 outs twice.

For me, I think the whole thing boils down to if you're willing to gamble. I'd fold right away, knowing I could get a better opportunity later.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Yep, your right. I would fold this especially as its early.