Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Theory post: Stop and go. Pot control OOP

bump

stop and go bluffing seems to be pretty useful against weak tight players when they announce their medium holding on the flop (ex: T53 two of a suit) in a 3-4 way pot, and its folded to you. You can call with a longshot draw (gutshot) and take the pot away OOP when a broadway card or 3 suit comes on out. Then again, any "play" seems like a good line against weak-tight players.

ON the pot-control question, it saves you money when, like you said, would call a turn-raise if you decided to bet out again. By betting the river, the largest betting street, and folding to a raise, you save yourself money when you would called a full pot bet. People are less likely to raise your stop and go, if you've fortified them with sets/big hands, which allows you to play smaller pots. I would like somoene to elaborate on this pot-control issue as I also feel to have an incomplete idea in how it fully works

Stopping and going is also a good line to take on the river I feel against very aggressive oppenants whom you dont want to check-raise on the turn because of a heavy draw. You can bet your marginal holding on the river when it blanks out if you dont want to call a huge bet or hope for a check/check or check fold having not invested a check-raise when the river gets ugly.

All in all, its a confusing play that often gains more money/saves money that allows your opp to A. make mistakes by overvaluing his hand (on early streets) and undervaluing his hand (on later streets)B. define his hand