Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: 87s flops bottom two pair in loose 5/10

Long time my friend.

This is one of the few times in NLHE that I actually prefer a call. I can't raise when half the deck is gonna kill me on the turn, and I surely can't fold. (contrary to the OP beliefs) Smooth call the 50, and see what the turn brings and evaluate persons betting and how much from there.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:38 AM

Multiway unraised pots are really nasty on a board like this but since you know your opponents in the blinds are LAG, you're clearly getting pot odds to call and assess the action on the turn if a blank comes.

I'm not willing to go all the way here but unlike most other posters I don't have a problem with raising, if someone comes over the top dump it, you could easily be drawing extremely thin against made straight, 10-8 or dead if someone has 10-10 or 8-8 but and you aren't far enough ahead of the draws to be worth the risk but there is a lot to be said for narrowing the field with a solid raise here on the flop and then checking the turn if checked to and calling down any reasonable sized bets assuming the flush or a J or a 6 doesn't hit. If you get multiple callers, you're done with the hand too unless you hit an 8 or a 7 on the turn.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Multiway unraised pots are really nasty on a board like this but since you know your opponents in the blinds are LAG, you're clearly getting pot odds to call and assess the action on the turn if a blank comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of odds do you think he needs to call? It seems like either he's ahead or behind, and the pot odds don't matter as they're not close to adequate for filling up (if he's behind) or they're irrelevant since he's ahead.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:01 AM

its not only the pot odds here. Theres a good chance that hero is ahead in which case, you're right, a raise could be +ev. However, he might be more ahead when a blank turn hits, then hero could fire out the times he is ahead. In the cases he's behind, it is slightly less -ev to call, than to raise and you have a chance to fill on the turn. There is a given ni this example that hero is ahead more times than he is behind, given hand strength and the poor play of the lags, which is why calling+reassessing and firing a blank turn seems to be a better play.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Long time my friend.

This is one of the few times in NLHE that I actually prefer a call. I can't raise when half the deck is gonna kill me on the turn, and I surely can't fold. (contrary to the OP beliefs) Smooth call the 50, and see what the turn brings and evaluate persons betting and how much from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

bunky!

how the hell are you? hope all goes well.

If I'm in NY next year, you're drinking on my tab.

fim
Old 07-27-2005, 04:28 PM

I would sometimes be inclined to raise this preflop.

Not really useful to the hand - Where I think the obvious play is to call - but just something to think about.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would sometimes be inclined to raise this preflop.

Not really useful to the hand - Where I think the obvious play is to call - but just something to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting. i might start doing that too against better players.

fim
Old 07-27-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bunky!

how the hell are you? hope all goes well.

[/ QUOTE ]

bunky is great. 4 tabling the 15-30 mostly right now. But I still play in some NL live games that are relatively deep stacked. I try to keep the game sharp.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm in NY next year, you're drinking on my tab.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I'll take you up on my friend. Sorry to have been away so long.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Results?

Any day now fim. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2005, 01:30 PM

Default results:

I call, turn A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I'm out. SB's J9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] loses most of his stack to mp's KQ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. but really, how could you put him on a flush draw? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

fim