Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: **Discovery Countdown**

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in quality here. Been here about a year and a half. Lots of talk going on this afternoon about what may be the ice frost ramp aft the bipod tearing free from around the feeline.

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet it's crazy there today. I was there working on Falcon, which I'm actually glad I didn't get put on ET - what a mess.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of talk going on this afternoon about what may be the ice frost ramp aft the bipod tearing free from around the feeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...wow.

Sometimes you guys make me feel [censored] dumb.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:03 PM

So now they are saying that they must perform repairs on the tile damage and have officially ground future flights...

*siiighhh*

WTF are these people doing? If you can't do this [censored] successfully, SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING ELSE.

Why the [censored] do we even need to go to space again? To perform research for future science classes that will not exist due to lack of funding?

Idiots.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:06 PM

Old 07-27-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So now they are saying that they must perform repairs on the tile damage and have officially ground future flights...

*siiighhh*

WTF are these people doing? If you can't do this [censored] successfully, SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING ELSE.

Why the [censored] do we even need to go to space again? To perform research for future science classes that will not exist due to lack of funding?

Idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]
NASA is accomplishing more than you even know. Plus, we are starting on the successor to the Space Shuttle. It's called the CEV, or Crew Exploration Vehicle. Variations on this vehicle are what will be the next vehicle to take us back to The Moon and, some dreamers say, Mars. Hopefully, Lockheed wins the contract for this bad boy - it'll keep me and my company in contracts in Denver for years.

Wiki
Old 07-27-2005, 08:05 PM

That's all fine and dandy and I hope for the people involved, it is successful.

But it seems that they can't even launch this hunk of junk without things 'falling off' it.

If they are going to spend all this [censored] money on this thing and cant even keep things from falling off, they need to seriously re-think priorities.

Hmmm, fund some schools or some other important item or strap a rocket to someones ass...

I dunno, maybe they are still scared of the Russians beating them to wasting money on Mars.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:38 PM

The thing is that debris falls off of the Space Shuttle and other launch vehicles on almost every launch. It's just that people are all of a sudden hypersensitive to it since Columbia. I doubt anything I can say will change your mind, but NASA has more impact on your daily life than you know. It's more than just pie-in-the-sky science missions and ego-boosting trips to The Moon. Things that you take for granted, such as cordless drills, batteries, satellite(!) television and other communications, weather prediction, among many, many other things (TANG!) are direct biproducts of America's space program.

The Space Shuttle is one helluva complex machine doing one helluva complicated mission. It's the most complex piece of machinery ever known to man - and by a long shot. It's hard to comprehend all that goes into the development and flight of The Space Shuttle. You wouldn't believe how complicated just the external fuel tank is - it's just the damned fuel tank, but it takes a huge effort to design and build it. It's by no means a hunk of junk. That said, it is 1970's technology and it's time for it to be replaced. I believe the plan is for it to be retired some time around 2010-2014 and replaced by the CEV in 2014. My personal opinion is that's a bit of a quick schedule to develop the CEV, but I guess we'll have to see.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 AM

Besides TANG, would we really miss those other items? Lets not forget that sending up satellites for TV and weather do not require manned missions to space.

I have not problem with us going to space. The big problem is when we do these things 'just to do them'. All of the experiments that have procuced worthwhile items could easily have been performed without the space shuttle.

But, for some reason, we have this fixation on being able to 'drive the thing home' (Even though you can bearly drive the flying brick). Why? What is wrong with the freaking capsule? It is tried and tested and I believe...it has yet to have failed.

1 billion dollars they spent tring to fix this damn problem and once again, the elmers glue they use to hold this thing together...fails.

I want my money back.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides TANG, would we really miss those other items? Lets not forget that sending up satellites for TV and weather do not require manned missions to space.

I have not problem with us going to space. The big problem is when we do these things 'just to do them'. All of the experiments that have procuced worthwhile items could easily have been performed without the space shuttle.

But, for some reason, we have this fixation on being able to 'drive the thing home' (Even though you can bearly drive the flying brick). Why? What is wrong with the freaking capsule? It is tried and tested and I believe...it has yet to have failed.

1 billion dollars they spent tring to fix this damn problem and once again, the elmers glue they use to hold this thing together...fails.

I want my money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you any idea how many discoveries in the world have been made simply because someone did something for the hell of it? Clearly, you don't, or you wound't have such an attitude.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I want my money back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you any idea how many discoveries in the world have been made simply because someone did something for the hell of it? Clearly, you don't, or you wound't have such an attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't have to spend $1bil to 'tweak' their inventions.

And...They didn't try to reinvent the wheel. We know how to go to space. We know how to come back. Need more room for experiments? Build a bigger capsule.

No, we need to look cool in space with our little toy that opens and retracts and spins and bla bla bla. Why?