Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: AJo in BB facing an MP1 raise and a SB call. Reraise, call, or fol

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why is everyone so godamn hostile on these boards?

~ Tilts

[/ QUOTE ]cause there are plenty of solid players in SS that will tell you to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I was confused because a good player told me it was a no-brainer that I should have raised, and that I effed up the hand because I simply called. I thought this was incorrect.

~ Tilts

[/ QUOTE ]why the hell are you calling the button MP1? the very last person to act is not in middle postition...
BTW/ easy threebet. 100%.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:44 AM

mason has an essay about this exact situation. it really does depend as its close.

its 100% NOT a 100% raise.

-Barron
Old 07-26-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mason has an essay about this exact situation. it really does depend as its close.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]says you and mason maybe... not says me.
threebetting makes this hand way easier to play after the flop... i hate when ppl say that generally, but this is one of the few instances where it is very much the truth for me.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: AJo in BB facing an MP1 raise and a SB call. Reraise, call, or fold?

BTW/ dont you love how the OP is like blahblah(1/3 sb)blahblahblah...
im thinking what kind of midstakes game is using an effing 1/3 sb? WTF?
would you threebet in a 7handed party 3/6 game, or still just call? dont you think an average 3/6 player will many incorrect folds on the flop/turn if you get to pounding?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Mason has written about this in the context of a typical $3/6 game. MP1, in this case, is the Button, and it's likely to be a stealraise, and I want Button making incorrect flop folds which he'll do often when he misses. It's a fairly easy 3-bet in a shorthanded game against a Button open.

Rob
Old 07-26-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: AJo in BB facing an MP1 raise and a SB call. Reraise, call, or fold?

[ QUOTE ]
BTW/ dont you love how the OP is like blahblah(1/3 sb)blahblahblah...
im thinking what kind of midstakes game is using an effing 1/3 sb? WTF?
would you threebet in a 7handed party 3/6 game, or still just call? dont you think an average 3/6 player will many incorrect folds on the flop/turn if you get to pounding?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point about the 1/3 SB was to illustrate that the player essentially called two cold in the worst possible position.

~ Tilts
Old 07-26-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Mason has written about this in the context of a typical $3/6 game. MP1, in this case, is the Button, and it's likely to be a stealraise, and I want Button making incorrect flop folds which he'll do often when he misses. It's a fairly easy 3-bet in a shorthanded game against a Button open.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, forgot he said 1/3 blind structure and forgot this is low limit.

yes, definately have to 3 bet that here, opponents hand selection and post flop play is probably so bad that getting money in there now is crucial.

-Barron
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 AM

I'll call here pre-flop. If the flop doesn't hit me two ways I'm done with it. Reraising is awful.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll call here pre-flop. If the flop doesn't hit me two ways I'm done with it. Reraising is awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

again, i dont think this is a situation where anything is awful, terrible, or 100%.

given its lowlimit (1/3 blind structure) and given the likely hand selection mistakes of the opponents (who like taking hands like 86s etc. up against big cards short handed) and given the likely postflop calling errors the opponents will probably make, i think 3 betting is actually best.

at the very least, 3betting is definately not awful.

-Barron
Old 07-26-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

again, i dont think this is a situation where anything is awful, terrible, or 100%.

given its lowlimit (1/3 blind structure) and given the likely hand selection mistakes of the opponents (who like taking hands like 86s etc. up against big cards short handed) and given the likely postflop calling errors the opponents will probably make, i think 3 betting is actually best.

at the very least, 3betting is definately not awful.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron,
I respect your judgment and your opinion means something to me. I just think that the cold call by the SB is screaming QQ or better, but maybe I give them too much credit. AJo is not a hand I hold in high regard, especially when out of position. Hence my remark about dumping it if the flop doesnt hit me two ways. Perhaps saying that reraising is "awful" was a bit strong. "Very marginal" might have been better.
Its very likely that I'm giving the OP's opponents too much credit. If I were playing with people who know me and I called two cold out of the single blind I think they would be proceeding with caution, to say the least. God only knows what kind of hands these people will do that with.
Your point is well taken.