Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: The only thing I did right was 3 bet pre-flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I would check/call the flop and check/raise a safe turn card.

IMO, this is one of those situations where your equity changes dramatically on the turn. Plus, if a non- hits, you have great relative position to make them both pay 2 BB to see river.

[/ QUOTE ]

HU against the button, I would probably check-raise the turn.

With the SB in the hand, I don't like getting fancy so I'd probably check-raise the flop, or bet the flop, pound the flop and charge them cuz one of them has a big club and the other most likely a big ace as well. Equity wise, they are both screwed if both are behind especially if both of them have a club in their hands.

Going for a check-raise on the turn with the potential to give a free card is bad poker here.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I just like straightforward betting and raising on the flop here.

Lawrence
Old 08-11-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's about the 5th orbit and I haven’t played a hand yet! My cards have been ice cold and both these guy have been stealing from me regularly. Bu is a bit loose but plays ok after the flop. SB collcalls too much but is otherwise ok. The table has been fairly tight aggressive but it’s the only ten handed 10-20 game going at Pokerroom at the moment.

I’m in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Folded to Bu who raises. SB coldcalls, and I 3 bet. Bu caps, we both call. 3 players and 12sb’s to the Flop:

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I flop top 2 pair with no club on an all club board. I’m possibly way ahead, pretty far behind, or in great danger of falling behind. I have a great deal of trouble coming up with the right game plan in these situations. With this size pot, I’m not going to get a flush draw to fold. I decided that the pot was big enough so I when into check call mode but that sure seems wrong both then and now.

So, how do you maximize profit while minimizing loss in this spot?

SB checks, I checked, Bu bet and we both called. The Turn:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, I checked, Bu bet, we both called. The River:

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checked, I checked, Bu bet, SB (apparently on a draw) folder, I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check/call the flop and check/raise a safe turn card.

IMO, this is one of those situations where your equity changes dramatically on the turn. Plus, if a non-[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hits, you have great relative position to make them both pay 2 BB to see river.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. it's high variance, but worth it.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet (try to cap or call 3-bet and raise turn without club) this flop, bet out-call any turn and check-call river if no A or Q comes and 4th club is here. Yes, i would call a river even if im raised on turn.

[ QUOTE ]
With this size pot, I’m not going to get a flush draw to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really can make draw to fold by bet-3bet flop if AK, Ax or KK or whatever else without club raise you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with Pete on this one.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:47 AM

I think the turn is the right time to raise here. On the flop, your hand is pretty strong, but with two cards to come it could easily end up getting beat. By the turn, there is much less chance of that.

Another thing -- with the ace and queen of clubs on the board, the chance that someone flopped a flush is reduced. There is much more danger of this if three small clubs flop.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:07 AM

Turn checkraise here would have been oh so nice.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:17 PM

I would be concerned about the button checking through the turn with a mid-pocket pair that had a club. Particularly after both blinds called the raise and flop bet it seems to me that a whiffed check-raise is pretty likely and would potentially cost hero the pot. I like a flop check raise and then lead a non-club turn. Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be concerned about the button checking through the turn with a mid-pocket pair that had a club. Particularly after both blinds called the raise and flop bet it seems to me that a whiffed check-raise is pretty likely and would potentially cost hero the pot. I like a flop check raise and then lead a non-club turn. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but once you check the turn...