Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: River aggression

Check the river. You arent going to fold him at this point and you arent betting for value because you dont have anything but Ace high. I would take the free SD.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:09 PM

(grunching)

I'm thinking check/call this river. It's not likely that he called you down with absolutely nothing, and even if he was on that same flush draw there's a good chance he could have a pair, not to mention 98.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's a -EV play, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, but yours is just as bad.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:51 AM

Check/call would be awful here, and I didn't want to give up the hand because I was sure the guy had very little.

Pokerstars micro limit players are very often calling down till the river and folding to a river bet if UI.

Aaron, please, put your objections objectively, without the "I need to beat you up" feelings.

Thank you for constructive remarks guys.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check/call would be awful here, and I didn't want to give up the hand because I was sure the guy had very little.

Pokerstars micro limit players are very often calling down till the river and folding to a river bet if UI.

Aaron, please, put your objections objectively, without the "I need to beat you up" feelings.

Thank you for constructive remarks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if it came across harsh, but the objections are objective. It's important because you're exhibiting a number of fundamentally flawed errors of logic and strategy.

- The "main thing" is not the result. The "main thing" is the reasoning you used to decide your action.

- Usually mid-pairs and underpairs call the river bet if they are willing to call the turn bet. This is a general characterization of players which is not uniform, but is certainly a plurality.

- The 50% number you used came from basically nowhere. When a fit-or-fold player raises on the river, most often it's because he fit something on the river, not because he's pulling a major bluff.

- I stand by my claim that 5000 hands of datamining is plenty on a player to get some general characteristics out of him. I also stand by my claim that you need to develop some real reads to help you play better.

- The fact that you're winning some sort of head-to-head matchup with him has nothing to do with anything in your hand.

Please go back and review you logic on this hand. It's very shaky as you have presented it.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why check/calling the river is a good play. You beat anything UI so why do you want them to fold something that missed the board? If they called to the river with a pair they're not going to suddenly have a change of heart on the river and fold.