Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: AKo, 3bet before it\'s my turn

Why do people want to checkraise?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:12 PM

I'm honestly not sure why I wanted to checkraise originally, but it was too late to edit my post when i saw it the second time.

I still am not sure about capping preflop though.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, maybe not shorthanded, silly idea. But full table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you have a read that the 3bettor will only 3bet with AA, KK and QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he will 3bet only AA-JJ, AKo and AKs, you are still often in pretty bad shape. There are plenty of people who have this as their three-betting range in a full game (and, obviously, there are also plenty who have wider ranges). Basically, with AKo and JJ you are at the bottom end of his range and the gap concept applies so that is a bad place to be.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:41 PM

this seems like an easy lead and 3 bet on the flop to me. hopefully some wimpy hands/big overpairs get trapped between the raises and reluctantly hang around too long.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is folding preflop an option? At full ring vs standard opponents, yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Swallowing miles of cock is an option as well, but one we will also forsake.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG!!! I just spit coffee all over my desk!!!

But seriously, I probably call pf and bet/3bet flop.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:21 PM

I would use a mix of caps and just calling preflop, sometimes it just depends on my opponents, other times it depends on my table image.

As far as the flop goes I would go for a check raise, pre flop reraiser will probably bet the flop unless you have a pretty tight table image, in which case I would bet-3bet.
If you check raise you make UTG+1 have to cold call two, if he has AQ or something he may misread your hand and you might be able to collect extra bets later. Going for a check raise on the turn (check calling flop) doesn't seem right. If pf reraiser has an underpair (QQ-99) they probably won't bet the turn again.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he will 3bet only AA-JJ, AKo and AKs, you are still often in pretty bad shape.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think even if it's AA-TT, AK, and AQ, you're not a favorite.

AA - 3 combos
KK - 3 combos
QQ - 6 combos
JJ - 6 combos
TT - 6 combos
AK - 9 combos
AQ - 12 combos

((3 * 0.07) + (3 * 0.3) + (18 * 0.43) + (9 * 0.5) + (12 * 0.74)) / 45

(0.21 + 0.9 + 7.74 + 4.5 + 8.88) / 45

22.23 / 45 = 0.494

You have about 49% equity against this range of hands (if my math is right), which isn't bad since you have an overlay from dead money in the pot.

But then you've got the guy who called three bets cold. To me, this either means

* He's a total donk.
* He has a marginal hand like AK or JJ.
* He is slowplaying AA or KK.

You are getting a discount on your call since you are in the big blind. I'm not sure I agree with others who say you have a large equity advantage here. You might be doing well if CO and Button have something like QQ and JJ, but often I think you are against hands like JJ and another AK, which is not good news.

Also, you are out of position the whole hand.

I think I just call here. Not sure I like a cap, but I could be giving too much credit to my unknown opponents. One advantage to a cap is maybe you knock out the original raiser and put more dead money in the pot, but most of the time you get a call from UTG+1. Also, if you just call, you can see if someone else caps, which gives you a little more information.

I want to plug some likely ranges for the 3 other players into PokerStove and see where we really stand in terms of pot equity, but I can't do it now since I'm not at home.

Edit: Fixed my math...
Old 07-19-2005, 04:23 PM

If you checked the flop and UTG bet, +1 raised, button called, what good is your subsequent raise going to do? I say this is a must bet for the fact of possibly facing button with 3 cold again.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus christ dude...
Look, I haven't played alot of shorthanded, only 10k hands or so at 1/2. I would not fold this at a normal 1/2 shorthanded table.
All I am saying is that at a full ring table where nobody gets out of line preflop I would fold AKo preflop for a 3-bet and a 3-bet coldcall. Not only because I fear AA and KK but there are probably high pockets and few aces and kings left to come.
So I just threw out a question if this is something to consider when you play shorthanded. Apparantly it isn't, so let's get on with our lives and forget this whole thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus christ dude...
Look, I haven't played alot of shorthanded, only 10k hands or so at 1/2. I would not fold this at a normal 1/2 shorthanded table.
All I am saying is that at a full ring table where nobody gets out of line preflop I would fold AKo preflop for a 3-bet and a 3-bet coldcall. Not only because I fear AA and KK but there are probably high pockets and few aces and kings left to come.
So I just threw out a question if this is something to consider when you play shorthanded. Apparantly it isn't, so let's get on with our lives and forget this whole thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't....but then again I try to avoid tables where people don't get out of line.