Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Where do I get away from this?

[ QUOTE ]
The problem here is that we don't know he's a bad player. We can assume most of our opponents will be bad players. Perhaps not THIS bad, but bad in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a 22. I'll assume he's bad until proven otherwise.

As for the rest of your post, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Thing is, you know that you're really not surprised that the villain in this hand didn't even have top pair, are you? I'm not either.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 AM

I raise a bit less preflop here, usually 75 will do it. Then bet a full 1/2-3/4 the pot on a missed flop - your flop bet smacks of weakness. If I have callers after that, I shut down unless I improve.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:23 AM

In HOH2 Dan says to not fire a continuation bet into the flop with two or more opponents unless your positive they don't have a hand or you have picked up a big draw. Your hand has no draw, and you have two opponents. I check the flop and fold the turn or riv unimproved. Remember, if you are going to see a showdown with ace high, get there as cheaply as possible. It's still early enough in the tourney to pick a better spot.

Finally, remember that you have about as good of a chance bluffing a party poker player off of a pot as I do of getting laid at work today

Sigma
Old 07-19-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be a large mistake to call a t60 bet with T9s, 33, etc., so I raise to t60 where it's not correct to call with those hands to try to stack AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're supposed to type "FYP" when you do that. And I've made a lot of money calling a t60 raise with 33 and flopping a set.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:42 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem here is that we don't know he's a bad player. We can assume most of our opponents will be bad players. Perhaps not THIS bad, but bad in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a 22. I'll assume he's bad until proven otherwise.

As for the rest of your post, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Thing is, you know that you're really not surprised that the villain in this hand didn't even have top pair, are you? I'm not either.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, if you do assume correctly that your opponents are bad, then you should also be able to assume that they will be unbluffable, and calling off your entire stack with no pair and no draw is pointless and self-defeating.

He'll pay you off when the time is right, the time is not right at this point.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, if you do assume correctly that your opponents are bad, then you should also be able to assume that they will be unbluffable, and calling off your entire stack with no pair and no draw is pointless and self-defeating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... yeah, that's what I was saying.

That was my whole point behind not building a big pot with ace high by continuation betting (and by not raising so much pre-flop). I certainly wouldn't have called the push either. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... yeah, that's what I was saying.

That was my whole point behind not building a big pot with ace high by continuation betting (and by not raising so much pre-flop). I certainly wouldn't have called the push either. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree about not calling the push. I think a pre-flop raise is definetely called for, especially from position. When the flop falls and both players check to you, I would not just check. I have position and they haven't shown any strength on this flop. I'm going to take a stab at it and bet 125 to possibly take down the 225 uncontested. No point in allowing your opponents to see a free turn (unless you flopped a monster, like a set, and are trapping)

If you get called, then you slow down and you haven't risked too much where you're pot-committed. In addition, you still have control over the situation and your opponent is still out of position, allowing you to reach the river for free (possibly)

I've taken down many pots with a continuation bet on a flop from position, regardless of whether I hit something or not. They may assume I have a pocket pair, or I hit the top pair. They may have a smaller pair and there's two overcards, making it difficult for them to continue, etc.

I certainly don't advocate humungous overbets with no hand, but reasonable bets from position that might win you the pot right there, and don't pot commit you either.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 AM

Okay, my last post on this since I have to go to work...

I didn't say not to raise preflop. Your OP said to raise to 75-100. Others have taken this line too. I'm saying that especially after just one limper, raising this much is overkill. Especially 100! You have position and a decent hand. Why raise to 100? Make a raise to 60, keep the pot manageable, play it with position.

Then, if you must continuation bet (which I generally do not do, but whatever) you could even make your same C bet of 120 or whatever and it would appear stronger because it would be a larger % of the pot.

I wouldn't do this, but in that scenario, your C bet would have a better chance of working. Anyway, I never said not to raise pre-flop, just not so much. Keep the pot small until you have something, then let the calling station donkeys pay you off. (Or put better, don't try to bluff bad players. Simple.)

Okay, off to work! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, my last post on this since I have to go to work...

I didn't say not to raise preflop. Your OP said to raise to 75-100. Others have taken this line too. I'm saying that especially after just one limper, raising this much is overkill. Especially 100! You have position and a decent hand. Why raise to 100? Make a raise to 60, keep the pot manageable, play it with position.

Then, if you must continuation bet (which I generally do not do, but whatever) you could even make your same C bet of 120 or whatever and it would appear stronger because it would be a larger % of the pot.

I wouldn't do this, but in that scenario, your C bet would have a better chance of working. Anyway, I never said not to raise pre-flop, just not so much. Keep the pot small until you have something, then let the calling station donkeys pay you off. (Or put better, don't try to bluff bad players. Simple.)

Okay, off to work! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying. I typically recommend a 3-5x the BB raise. But in the early levels of these tournies, it's difficult to push people out who might be sticking around with 4/7 sooted, J/10, etc. Various drawing hands, by only raising to 50 or 60. That's why I typically recommend a raise to 75 or 100 at that point.

Later on I'll make standard 3-5x the BB raises, and as blinds increase greatly I might get away with a 2.5x the BB raise to push someone out and steal the blinds.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be a large mistake to call a t60 bet with T9s, 33, etc., so I raise to t60 where it's not correct to call with those hands to try to stack AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're supposed to type "FYP" when you do that. And I've made a lot of money calling a t60 raise with 33 and flopping a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do what I want. Also, assuming you're only playing for set value, you need to win 720 chips every time you hit just to break even. I hope you're doing that.