Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Supply Side Economics (Reaganomics) and the Laffer Curve

You really got me starting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]:

Budget revenues pr 2004 pr capita:

US: $6,646
Germany: $10,552

I guess the Germans are idiots when they claim that their higher tax rates makes more free state services possible [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Budget Deficit Shrinking Unexpectedly Quickly

The first economic statement by Adios with which I actualling agree.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Budget Deficit Shrinking Unexpectedly Quickly

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, there are people who "tend to view economics as a purely zero-sum game." Some of them frequent this board. Where have you been?

[/ QUOTE ]Name some.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Addendum

Also there is the question of morality/ethics of the government taking money by force (taxes) from it's citizens. Most agree taxes are necessary, but should a govt's role be to maximize it's tax coffers or foster a freer society that allows people to keep more of THEIR income? I would prefer to err on the latter because big govt lead to less freedom.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:23 PM

Ouch! I feel sorry for the Germans. I'm glad I live in the USA rather in Germany. Their govt makes thieves look honest. These numbers show why Germany's unemployment is 10% rather than 5% in the USA.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch! I feel sorry for the Germans. I'm glad I live in the USA rather in Germany. Their govt makes thieves look honest. These numbers show why Germany's unemployment is 10% rather than 5% in the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in this you might be right, just wanted to point out that higher tax leads to higher revenue.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes my government ($15,676 pr capita) top-notch criminals? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Addendum

[ QUOTE ]
Also there is the question of morality/ethics of the government taking money by force (taxes) from it's citizens. Most agree taxes are necessary, but should a govt's role be to maximize it's tax coffers or foster a freer society that allows people to keep more of THEIR income? I would prefer to err on the latter because big govt lead to less freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are concerned about a loss of freedom, then surely you are against the Patriot Act? Or are you concerned about a loss of freedom only when it fits with the Bush package?

-ptmusic
Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM

just wanted to point out that higher tax leads to higher revenue.
This does not prove anything. A true test of studying tax rates vs. tax receipts would for Germany to lower their taxes, say 10%, and then we look at THEIR tax receipts for the next 5 years...then we could objectivly evaluate the effect of tax rates and tax receipts. Germany's GDP gowth has been terrible. Schoeder is in huge political trouble for the German economy.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Addendum

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are concerned about a loss of freedom, then surely you are against the Patriot Act? Or are you concerned about a loss of freedom only when it fits with the Bush package?

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't one turn around ask you if you are concerned about the loss of freedom from the Patriot act than surely you are for the Bush tax cuts. Or are you concerned about a loss of freedom only when it fits with the Democratic talking points?

Also to actually be fair, the Patriot Act while troubling has not actually prevented me from doing something that I was doing before its enactment. and this is true for almost everyone. On the other hand, every dollar of tax that is taken from me is one less dollar that I would have made sometype of choice with.

so if it is only an arguement about which infringes freedom more. taxes win easily.