Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Re: value bet debate

I also think this is a pretty easy value bet and without a reliable read I call a raise.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i thin its a pretty easy bet. he will likely call you with any pair save a 6. lay down to a raise unless he is aggro or capable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I echo this except I would be calling a raise from unknowns and folding only if I have a read of passive. Of course I'm all used to 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what I think too
Old 07-13-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- he disagreed and said it clearly wasnt auto if i had to think - i explained that its common for auto value bets to actually take a little time because invariably a voice appears and says "holy crap thats a bad card - maybe i should be a sook and check" - fortunately i had previously been heard to say if it doesnt hurt when you value bet your not doing it right but he still didnt buy it

[/ QUOTE ]

that sums it all up perfectly. Tell your pupil to quit arguing with the master! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

btw, I love all your aussie slang. "sook" is a new one, is that like a chook only better?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:19 PM

There are straight draws galore on this board- I'd say a bet is necessary. No postflop read either so you can't be checking here against an unknown everytime.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:20 PM

even i bet this
Old 07-13-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
opinions on the turn bet? at first glance I don't like it

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmmmmm.......
Old 07-13-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't this a case where you can bet-call the turn and check-fold unimproved if he bets the river... this costs the same as when you check-call the turn and kind of have to check-call the river as well since you gave up your initiative. or would you check-call the turn and check-fold the river?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:29 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
I think not betting here is leaving money on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

why's that
Old 07-13-2005, 12:32 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't this a case where you can bet-call the turn and check-fold unimproved if he bets the river... this costs the same as when you check-call the turn and kind of have to check-call the river as well since you gave up your initiative. or would you check-call the turn and check-fold the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe you're right. I don't love my hand at that point. I think I can get more value from people bluffing than I can from them calling with a worse hand. maybe the typical 5/10 player is looser and more passive but I do think against a lot of players this is true. I guess you could bet to get Ax to fold, but a lot of players will even bet that if checked to.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you could bet to get Ax to fold, but a lot of players will even bet that if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the same here. I think a lot of hands will bet if checked to. The board is now very scary and you look scary if you check. Even the most passive player might take a stab at the pot if checked to. I think that giving the fact he has position on us I would probably check often here. Inducing a bluff or only paying 1 more if beaten. If it was initially raised by CO or Button I would bet 100% here... Maybe I give too much credit to a UTG pfr ?