Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Am I a fish?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't fold 3 orbits in a row just to open-raise 4xbb with 7h9h.

This makes you a fish, yes.

Remember, suited connectors don't have as much value against few opponents. Don't play 79h like a limit hand here! It's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. If you're trying to steal, that's one thing. But please don't raise this in the cutoff anymore. Just don't do it.

I'd rather open-raise K2s in first position at a 6-handed table than 79s in the cutoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

With what? Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

That open raising 9 7s in the CO occasionally is a bad idea.

Basically,. I don't agree with anything in your post. I, and from what I read on this board alot of other players, sometimes raise suited gappers in LP, especially when there are few to non limpers (improves the chance of picking up the blinds) If I only raise high PP:s and AK-AJ I'll be very easy to read. And yes, my pre-flop raise is meant as a steal, but that didn't work, so I'll have to take it from there.

If there is one thing in this hand that makes me a fish it's the flop call, not the pre-flop raise.

And basically I don't see why my play would be more suited in limit. Suited connectors and gappers are in my experience better NL hands than Limit.

EDIT: one more thing. I think the fact that I hade folded three orbits in the row should make me more likely to raise a hand like this pre-flop since my tight image should make them put me on a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't Gus Hansen, and this isn't the 4k/8k game. Raising in the CO with this holding is ok once in a while when you know how to play it post-flop.

Key error: You are giving your low-limit foes much more credit than they deserve. Nobody cares that you've folded 3 orbits in a row. They probably don't even notice.

Key error #2: Don't be afraid to lay down a steal-gone-wrong. You do not have to keep investing in this hand.

The only people who would honestly claim that suited connectors play better in NL are those who are masters post-flop. You clearly are not. They are stonger in limit b/c your opponents have little opportunity to outplay you off the hand, as he/she did in this NL hand.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, and that your line with 97suited here was correct. I need to know before I resume playing poker for money, because if I'm wrong then I better stop before I lose money.

If you are playing 4k/8k and had folded 3 orbits, raising here with 97suited is 100 times better than at a low-limit online table.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are stonger in limit b/c your opponents have little opportunity to outplay you off the hand, as he/she did in this NL hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still disagree with alot in your post, but can you please explain how main opp. outplayed me in this hand? I may very well have botched this post flop, but facts are: I called a min.raise on the flop with 9 clean outs and got payed off big time. Even if I played this hand badly, villian played it much much worse.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:47 PM

I would fold to minraise.
ALso I fold to push.

I dont see what you hope to beat here.

Best wishes
Old 07-15-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are stonger in limit b/c your opponents have little opportunity to outplay you off the hand, as he/she did in this NL hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still disagree with alot in your post, but can you please explain how main opp. outplayed me in this hand? I may very well have botched this post flop, but facts are: I called a min.raise on the flop with 9 clean outs and got payed off big time. Even if I played this hand badly, villian played it much much worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just read the results, I guess he didn't outplay you considering you won the hand. Your 9 outs weren't clean though.

Just remember you don't have to get involved in nominal hands in cash games. I just despise this whole hand and how it was played but that's my style. I lay down overpairs and sets all the time! And somehow I make a ton of money at this level. At this level you can really just wait for good hands and bet them for value as they will get called down. There's nothing worse than losing with a set to a flush and with 2 pairs to a straight, etc. I know I'll have to alter my game when I move up but for now, it works. Congrats on winning the hand. Lucky you you caught a 9. Good job. He was ahead of you pre-flop and after 3 of the 5 community cards. Nicely done. By the way, what was the river card? because if it was a ten, or it paired the board other than 7 and 9, then he wins. But you realize that..