Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Very Well Played Hand 1/2

Running a huge bluff is frequently +EV against a good player in a vacuum. But poker isn't played in a vacuum and when you start trying to buy every single pot it will not take long to go broke.

If the only hands you play are AA, KK, QQ, and 72o, and your opponents are aware of how tight you play, then you could make a profit by stealing with 72o. Just because your steals are +EV doesn't mean that your strategy is optimal.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:11 AM

how big of a pair do you need to start reraising the button?

how big of a pair to just call the button?

AK/AQ reraise huge?

KQs/AXs/AJ-T? this all sucks OOP against a good player but they cant just be tossed to a steal and this is ALOT of reraising material

hmm
Old 07-12-2005, 07:29 AM

Ciaffone says 99 and up I believe, but if I recall properly this was ring

In my experience any middle pair is golden for a reraise in these spots
Old 07-12-2005, 08:13 AM

What does he need to call/raise? 66? TT?

Villain is raising any to playable cards here. 33 is a good enough hand to call and lead any flop. Sometimes you'll have a monster, and most of the time you'll have the best hand. If you haven't played back before, villain should be hesitant to bluff-raise you on the flop, and if you have played back a couple of times before, maybe playing for set value is not such a bad idea afterall.

This is crazy stuff; I'm disagreeing with fimbul and soah. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But seriously, should he really give up his blinds to villain (almost) no matter what he's holding?

I guess it depends on how good "very good" means though.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:17 AM

It depends how often he is attacking my blinds.

He's a good player, in position, and he's overbetting the pot, so he is going to win my blinds most of the time. I can afford to wait for a better hand to make a stand with, regardless of the frequency of his steals.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Villain is raising any to playable cards here. 33 is a good enough hand to call and lead any flop. Sometimes you'll have a monster, and most of the time you'll have the best hand. If you haven't played back before, villain should be hesitant to bluff-raise you on the flop, and if you have played back a couple of times before, maybe playing for set value is not such a bad idea afterall.

This is crazy stuff; I'm disagreeing with fimbul and soah. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But seriously, should he really give up his blinds to villain (almost) no matter what he's holding?

[/ QUOTE ]

So you call and the pot is $25. Three overcards flop, you fire a pot bet and he calls. You?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:59 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

So you call and the pot is $25. Three overcards flop, you fire a pot bet and he calls. You?

[/ QUOTE ] Check raise or check fold. Depends on the situation, especially how frequently he has been stealing my blinds and how frequently I have made stands.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Check raise or check fold. Depends on the situation, especially how frequently he has been stealing my blinds and how frequently I have made stands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is why the default play is to fold preflop. If in the origial post it said "aggressive button raised my blind 5 of the last 6 times...I'm deciding here to make a stand.." my and others replies probably would have been different.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is why the default play is to fold preflop. If in the origial post it said "aggressive button raised my blind 5 of the last 6 times...I'm deciding here to make a stand.." my and others replies probably would have been different.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. Without a good read providing a reason to attack this guy, I'd rather just fold and get dealt the next hand. Against an unknown, it doesn't seem like the lines being discussed here are going to be profitable.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:22 AM

He is not an unknown, he is a very good player. I take that to mean that his raising range when folded to on the button is very wide. Especially if BB is tight OOP, which he quite obviously is.

If he's so good that I'm scared to play a pot with him, then ok, I fold. But there would have to be a couple of very bad players at the table for me to sit at all under those circumstances.