Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Roundabouts

Roundabouts are becoming more popular in the states because they're safer. IIRC, the rationale is that you have more accidents at roundabouts, but the accidents that happen are:

1. At lower speed.
2. Not head-on or perpindicular to the direction of travel.

So there are significantly fewer injuries caused by accidents in roundabouts.

In my own experience, I really like roundabouts provided people know how to use 'em. Once roundabout etiquitte catches on here I think you'll start to see them all over.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:42 PM

They built one on a semi-busy street about 1/2 a mile away from my house. I do not like it. I think that some of the village council people thought it would be a neat thing to do, since no other city in the area has one. It also makes crossing it harder while walking, and it is located in a major area for kids walking to school.

In the winter some lady ended up crashing her car, because it had snowed out and before the plow came she was driving. Well, the roundabout was still covered and she ended up driving right on top of the roundabout, and did not follow the circular path. I do not know how she did not see the yield signs, or anything, but it happened. When I was driving past it they were digging her out.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:47 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...bout-works.htm

i've never heard of them before. seems like you can't go replacing stoplights with them due to how much space they take, maybe it's cool for new installations though.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:53 PM

they have them everywhere in massachusetts... its funny seeing people drive on them for the first time.... " hey kids, big ben, parliament... big ben, parliament."
Old 07-10-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they have them everywhere in massachusetts... its funny seeing people drive on them for the first time.... " hey kids, big ben, parliament... big ben, parliament."

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF r u talking about?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF r u talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Clark, you're on the wrong side of the road."
"Yes, I know, honey. I'm also on the wrong side of the car."
Old 07-10-2005, 09:37 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

he may "pork" her, russ.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kudos.
Just as text message, ATMs etc.. Maybe you let the child move out of the house too early [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 07-10-2005, 09:32 PM

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, UK. Five clockwise roundabouts surrounding a counter-clockwise one. Think we could handle that in the States?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:43 PM

It is challenging to drive the ones in the UK as I am used to right-side driving and in Roundabout the where to look and which lane etc. is complicating when you are used to everything being opposite.

If you want challenge though go to Paris around Arch Triump (no marked lanes even if they make six or seven, high speed, many exits):