Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2003, 05:09 PM

Default Re: France and the Idiots who want to be a human shield.

We bailed their asses out of 2 wars.

This is becoming a tired arguement. In fact, it was worn out so long ago that even the Simpsons has made a joke of it.

Is France supposed to be in some kind of permanent debt to the U.S. and defer judgement of all international affairs to Washington?

BTW, I don't think France needed bailing out of WWI. They were more than capable of maitaining the stalemate.

Old 02-12-2003, 05:17 PM

Default Re: France

The UN is a big bureaucracy in which the voices of tyrannical regimes are amplified due to the structure of the organization. Also, times have changed and France no longer would be accorded a permanent seat or veto if the UN were to be formed (or re-formed) today--France just isn't as important as it once was (and I'm not even speaking of the recent brouhaha, it's just that geopolitics have changed over time).
Old 02-12-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Boycott German Beer Too

No more French wines

No more Beck's

No more dry white German wines

Sam Adams thank you

And an honorable mention to Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale--the English deserve a hand--(well at least Blair and the British military do).
Old 02-12-2003, 06:47 PM

We bailed their asses out of 2 wars

Not only does it not apply effectively to WWI, but neither does it apply to WWII. The French lost WWII in June of 1940. There was no "baliing out" - merely a decision by the remaining Allies to restore their eliminated ally.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:54 PM

"merely a decision by the remaining Allies to restore their eliminated ally."

I'd call that getting bailed out! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The anti French sentiment developing in this country is sad, regretable and troubling to me.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:55 PM

"We bailed their asses out of 2 wars."

They did help us out in a little thing called the American Revolution. So it's not quite as lopsided as you think.

Old 02-12-2003, 11:13 PM

The anti French sentiment developing in this country is sad, regretable and troubling to me.
Don't worry...as more and more countries oppose the US's foreign policies, Americans will move on from anti-French sentiments to other, fresher bigotry.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:57 AM

Default France losing wars is why we have the Olympics.

In 1870 France lost a little war to Germany when Pierre de Coubertin was a young boy. The french knew that much of this was due to being generally weak as a whole society. Pierre de Coubertin as he got older wanted to do something about this to restore pride in the physical nature of the French. He was also fascinated by the ancient olympic games. He set out to make French stronger to one day pay back the Germans and secondly he wanted to bring the games back to the world. He ended up bringing the Olympics back to the world, and later gave up on beating Germany.

France losing wars at least brought us some good. If only we could get the cry babies out of eastern Canada.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:31 AM

Clarkmeister,

i stand agreeably more corrected [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

~ rick
Old 02-13-2003, 03:37 AM

nicky it isn't fair to take US actions out of the Cold War context and just condemn them all as stand-alone incidents. Anyways, the Cold War has ended and we haven't seen the US recently supporting bad regimes to nearly the same extent we did in the past when the Cold War played a major role in geopolitics.

Exactly why is it not fair? Did these things not happen? Post after post after post, you do your best to pull the USA out of the sewer and put us up on a pedestal. I find your logic horribly flawed. Time after time you admit to wrongdoing by the US, then try to justify it by saying things like "...but we're heads and shoulders above those guys."
"Those guys" usually being some extreme form of government, i.e. China, USSR, Pakistan, North Korea, etc. Maybe we are "heads and shoulders" above those countries. Do you think that's something to be proud of? I can just hear the proud
parent of a prison inmate--"My boy may have raped and killed an 80 year old woman, but he's still better than that Ted Bundy fella". Your predictable jump to the defense of anything American sounds just as ridiculous. By the way, do you have these already? I think you probably do.
Patriotic Blinders

Be careful that you don't step in front of a bus with those things on.