Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2003, 12:44 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Big Blind QJs in poker heaven

if it's a mistake, it's not a large one. the hand does win more than its fair share here. i think the decision probably lies in the ability to muck top pair.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:56 PM

If this is even a slightly aggressive game, the lack of a preflop raise is a very strong indicator that you have the best queen and the best jack. I'll pull a number out of my ass and estimate this is the case close to 70% of the time.

On the button in this situation I think it is an automatic preflop raise and would do so about 80%. From the blinds I'd do so about 40% of the time.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:11 PM

IF six limpers is noraml, then I think the raise is clear cut. You can prbably raise with something like 98s without much if any EV loss.

If the game is tighter and six seeing the flop is rare, then everyone has reasonable cards. I suspect a raise is close to break even, I might still do it to cover my bigger hands.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Big Blind QJs in poker heaven- to clarky

Hey handsome- you wrote: "If this is even a slightly aggressive game," .... uhmmmm with 6 limpers I think it's a very passive game [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I do agree that raising from the button is much better than from s.b., but for you, raising 40% from s.b. seems about right. For me, folding or limping from s.b. seems best. LGPG, Your Favorite PokerBabe [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2003, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Big Blind QJs in poker heaven- to clarky

Man, its awful tough to argue with anyone who calls you handsome. I concede. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]