Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Isn\'t this \"F-Bomb\" stuff getting carried away?

Dale Earnhardt Jr had points deducted from the nextel cup series last year when he cursed on national television.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:43 PM

Seems like a pretty cheap shot for Vinh to bring this up several hands later. As long as it wasn't directed at him personally, it seems pretty weak to complain about it.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 PM

Selective enforcement.

At my first table in a WSOP event in early June, two players got all the money in on the flop with a board of KTx. One guy had AK, the other had TT for the set. AK-player says "F*ck me!"

This was within the first orbit at the start of the tournament. AK-player has $50 left after the hand is over, and is out within 2 hands.

The dealer says that he should have called a penalty, but did not because he felt sorry for him.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:52 PM

My problem isn't with the "F-bomb" rule, but the fact that berating another opponent or the dealer doesn't cause an automatic penalty. It seems absurd to me that you can say "Awww, F-bomb" (directed at no one in particular, except yourself) can garner a penalty, while a non-profanity laced tirade about someone's mother or their upbringing gets no penalty at all.

They should penalize the use of words, not the words themselves.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In other sports, athletes get fined for using the language.

Tiger Woods shanks one into the trees, slams his club and lets fly with an F-bomb? He gets fined by the PGA. Andy Roddick double-faults and curses, the umpire can dock him a point in the next game. Dale Jr. almost gets caught up in a wreck at Daytona, then tells his crew chief via radio that Tony Stewart is a (obscenity) and NASCAR will fine him and possibly take away Nextel Cup points. NFL, MLB and even NBA have the advantage of crowd noise covering up expletives uttered by players.

Basically, if people are going to try and position poker as a legit sport on TV, they'll have to deal with conforming to how other sports handle similiar incidents.

[/ QUOTE ]

If poker is a sport, Yahtzee should be an olympic event... Seriously, fine them afterwards, take %1 of their winnings and give it to some skinnys in Africa or something? If I lost a tournament like that I would say F!@$ 50 times in a row while I was kicking the tournament director in the jewels.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:59 PM

I think that the key thing is whether you are directing abuse at other players. If someone lets an F-bomb slip but they are not abusing another player, big deal. Poker is a game for adults.

The thing that I think they should crack down on is the abuse of other players. Tony G should have faced some kind of penalty at the WPT Paris event with Surinder Sunar.

I played in a live tournament, made the final table. First place was over $10,000. Started to become an all-in fest. UTG raised all-in, I had him covered 3:2, pushed all-in with AKs. UTG rivers a K for a straight. I took off my baseball cap, slammed it on my leg, and said, "No!". That's it. As I'm looking down, UTG says, "I had a monster! How could you call me with that crap!" I don't respond, he says it again. The dealer tells him to "Shut the [censored] up!" as does the chip leader.

It was the most appropriate use of profanity ever. Anyone going to say that the chip leader should have been put on a 10 minute penalty here? My position is guys that swear aren't the problem, classless jerks are.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dale Earnhardt Jr had points deducted from the nextel cup series last year when he cursed on national television.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't he the guy who turned right instead of left and died?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, his father died during a race.

Good to see you find humor in a tragic event, hope you're still able to joke about a tragedy when you lose someone close to you.

Ignorant [censored]
Old 07-05-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of hard to feel bad for a guy that drives cars 200 mph in a circle his whole life and dies.... I have a sick sense of humor and I am not from Alabama sorry.

No, his father died during a race.

Good to see you find humor in a tragic event, hope you're still able to joke about a tragedy when you lose someone close to you.

Ignorant [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-05-2005, 03:18 PM

The difference between fineing Tiger for letting one loose on the course and someone letting one out after losing a big hand, is that Tiger's play in the rest of the match isn't affected. They don't add a stroke or anything crazy like that.
IMO, there's no way this rule will hold up for very long. The players will not stand for it, and eventually it will go away, probably when ESPN moves away from poker.

Oh, and to the guy who made the Dale comment, I'm sure your parents are real proud of what a classy kid they raised.