Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Repeat Sex Offenders

There are plenty of people that are [censored] in the head that have been deemed "Fit to stand trial." I am a liberal as well, but [censored] with a kid and I hope you die in the Pound Me In The Ass Prison System.

Steve
Old 07-03-2005, 09:55 PM

There is a subset of sex offenders who are truly sociopathic, and/or feel that their behavior is entirely appropriate. They have no motivation to change and will never be safe unless under constant supervision and/or incarceration. This is not all sex offenders, but these are the most dangerous and do the most damage. There is no treatment that has been demonstrated to work for them. Simply put, this subset of offenders will re-offend if given the chance. It is not if, it is when.

-Dr. Milo (a clinical and forensic psychologist, who has worked in the field, and has a fairly strong grasp of the literature).
Old 07-03-2005, 10:10 PM

just goes to show that you can go to school for years (as a judge would have to) and still turn out to be a complete idiot. These judges are clearly in need of help or the defendants lawyer is completely incompetent
Old 07-03-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a subset of sex offenders who are truly sociopathic, and/or feel that their behavior is entirely appropriate. They have no motivation to change and will never be safe unless under constant supervision and/or incarceration. This is not all sex offenders, but these are the most dangerous and do the most damage. There is no treatment that has been demonstrated to work for them. Simply put, this subset of offenders will re-offend if given the chance. It is not if, it is when.

-Dr. Milo (a clinical and forensic psychologist, who has worked in the field, and has a fairly strong grasp of the literature).

[/ QUOTE ]

I would tend to agree with Dr Milo, though I am not a doctor and have never studied psychology. (great intro to me speaking my mind huh?) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But I will say this... (it begins)

I believe people who offend against children are incurable. In Nabokov's novel "Lolita" Humbert was until his dying day aware of his desires, and partly disgusted at times but totally given in to them and rejoiced in them.

I doubt there would be any psychiatric drugs that could help a paedophile, I think the best chance would be the drugs that Tom Cruise calls "masking drugs", heavy anti-psychotics that would numb the patient, though probably wouldn't stop them if they are free to walk the streets.

I however disagree with all prison systems. There is a schaudenfreude (SP?) a "shameful joy" that many "good" citizens of post-modern socieites have of someone who commits an atrocious act and is sent to be subject to rape in prison.

I can't remember if it was Tolstoy of Dostyevsky(SP?) who said something to the effect of "show me a societies prisons and I'll show you that society" (horribly misquoited) and in truth, when we as a post-modern society(ies) look at our prison systems and the way the many "good" citizens feel about the justification of rape for offenders who commit horrible crimes themselves, we honestly can't say we have evolved much from the pre-modern populous of Rome who used to cheer on executions in the Roman Coloseum.(SP?)

I believe in total prison reformation, that every prison should be changed to sustain itself finacially and offer an environment where inmate violence is abolished.

One suggestion is for prisons to be changed to "farmind communities" and inmates made to work the fields. In this system an inmate would spend the rest of his life secluded from society, work a days work, and retire to a cell that resembles a nice "bedsitter apartment" and have better meals and TV etc.

I don't think the current system works. How can you possibly send someone to a place where "survival of the fitest" is the motto and yet expect them to be 'rehabilitated' into a passive society?

But in saying that let me make my point clear that, yes, the crimes of paedophiles are heinous and extremely damaging to the victims who deserve a 'proper childhood', and while I would not judge a victim returning to kill their once predator, I disagree with the prison system.

Cheers,
SDM
Old 07-03-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not bad, but then how could you ever convict anyone? The state is mandating that sexual offender=mentally ill, so at worst, offenders must be not guilty by reason of mental defect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mentally ill people are not necessarily "insane." In fact, the insanity defense is attempted in less than 1% of cases, and succeeds less than 5% of the time it is attempted. It never works for pedophiles.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not bad, but then how could you ever convict anyone? The state is mandating that sexual offender=mentally ill, so at worst, offenders must be not guilty by reason of mental defect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mentally ill people are not necessarily "insane." In fact, the insanity defense is attempted in less than 1% of cases, and succeeds less than 5% of the time it is attempted. It never works for pedophiles.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing my point. I'm replying to BigSteve's comments about Oregon taking sex offenders released from prison and locking them up in mental institutions for the rest of their lives, saying that these offenders have an incurable mental disease. I'm saying that logically, if all sex offenders are mentally ill according to Oregon, than all charged with sexual crimes could plead not guilty by reason of mental defect, and avoid prison in exchange for life in institutions. I'm not arguing the facts of what is going on, just the logical process.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are missing my point. I'm replying to BigSteve's comments about Oregon taking sex offenders released from prison and locking them up in mental institutions for the rest of their lives, saying that these offenders have an incurable mental disease. I'm saying that logically, if all sex offenders are mentally ill according to Oregon, than all charged with sexual crimes could plead not guilty by reason of mental defect, and avoid prison in exchange for life in institutions. I'm not arguing the facts of what is going on, just the logical process.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming that someone with an incurable mental defect cannot be punished first. Oregon apparently does not accept that premise.

However I have looked into this some and I am so far unable to finf anything that validates what BigSteve said about Oregon law. I can tell you that we have a fair share of released sex offenders living amongst us.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a subset of sex offenders who are truly sociopathic, and/or feel that their behavior is entirely appropriate. They have no motivation to change and will never be safe unless under constant supervision and/or incarceration. This is not all sex offenders, but these are the most dangerous and do the most damage. There is no treatment that has been demonstrated to work for them. Simply put, this subset of offenders will re-offend if given the chance. It is not if, it is when

[/ QUOTE ]

i suspect i acted for at least 1 such sex offender - it is scary to know that such people exist

it is of-course completely understandable that what the media feeds us in terms of sex offenders would come predominantly from this class as they would be most likely to commit the most heinous sex offences and therefore sell more news - i strongly suspect however that the sociopaths form a small percentage of the total

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 07-04-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that you have acted on behalf of many of the victims, I am surprised you do not seem to understand the major damage these people do to children, and it is not short term damage, including instant loss of innocenence, these children will struggle with this for the rest of their lives, many never being able to feel normal or safe or trusting, never reaching the potential they have a right to. In that regard they should be treated no better than murderers, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand it enough so that i got to the stage where rather than exhibit that somewhat sick fascination when reading the statements of such victims i would try hard to skim over the detail if i could

i wouldnt want to say anything that trivialises the damage caused by sex offenders - ultimately i think it comes down to whether you believe that the penalty handed out by a civilised society should be the eye for an eye type or something else - i vote for something else

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 07-04-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what the percentage of success is of rehabilitation for this kind of thing,

[/ QUOTE ]

0%

Mack